Need recommendation for helicoil insert kit

More
20 May 2009 11:13 #292888 by nob_1100
Replied by nob_1100 on topic Need recommendation for helicoil insert kit
I was going to buy a Heli Coil kit, but when I was disassembling the head I discovered that one of the cam cap bolts already had been treated with a Heli Coil insert. It wasn't holding the bolt tight. It was probably the fault of the person who did the work, but I decided to order a Time Sert kit just to be safe.

Thanks all for your comments.

83 1100 Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
20 May 2009 14:17 - 20 May 2009 14:20 #292919 by kano
Mcdroid wrote:

This is the kit I purchased:

www.toolsqwik.com/storefrontprofiles/Del...c=145637&i=234717501

just ordered from them too,
needed m8 125 for exhaust studs.

time inserts are highly recommended by ppl here.

NEW TIME-SERT M8 X 1.25 Metric Thread Repair Kit
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&s...IT&item=290306298463

NEW BIG-SERT By TIME-SERT M8 X 1.25 Thread Repair Kit
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&s...IT&item=300303962276

Last edit: 20 May 2009 14:20 by kano.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
20 May 2009 15:29 #292934 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Need recommendation for helicoil insert kit
I like these inserts .

Other than a drill, tap, and a flathead screwdriver, they require no special installation tools. At about $10 for qty 10, you can't beat the price.

I've had very good luck with these, replacing cam cap bolts after the heli's came out and disintegrated.

West Linn, OR

More
22 May 2009 08:20 #293307 by Tony
nob_1100 wrote:

I was going to buy a Heli Coil kit, but when I was disassembling the head I discovered that one of the cam cap bolts already had been treated with a Heli Coil insert. It wasn't holding the bolt tight. It was probably the fault of the person who did the work, but I decided to order a Time Sert kit just to be safe.

Thanks all for your comments.

If it has already been helicoiled and that hole is bad you will probably need big-serts.

Her's a link.
bigserts

More
22 May 2009 22:09 #293436 by nob_1100
kano's post on Big Sert made me worry, and now you mention it directly Tony. I just received my Time Sert kit today, so I'll give it a shot anyway to see if I also need to use a big sert. Thanks for the heads-up.

83 1100 Ltd

More
02 Jun 2009 09:45 #295743 by nob_1100
Just wanted to report my experience with the Time Sert kit. The kit came in a nice box with different compartments for different bits. That alone was very assuring. At the end, I managed to successfully restore four damaged threads. But the process wasn't trouble free.

The first problem I encountered was that I couldn't locate a suitable handle. I went to three different local automotive stores to look for a tap handle but none carried it. I tried various size sockets but nothing fit perfectly to the square head of the tap and drill bit. At the end, I had to use a pair of vice pliers to grab each Time Sert tool. The second problem was that in some threads I wanted to repair, various engine parts got in the way of the electric drill's chuck. Again, I had to resort to the pliers.

The third problem was very frustrating. I put back the cylinder head, and was tightening the cam cap bolts. Of course one of the bolt threads got stripped. As many of you know, the cam cap bolt threads are recessed; the thread does not start until 1/2 inch or so below the cylinder head surface. But the Time Sert insert has a lip/flange at the top, which is a tad larger than the recess hole. So I had to enlarge the recess in order to screw in the insert. I got lucky again :woohoo: because this thread was located directly under the bike frame, so my drill could not reach there. I didn't want to remove the head just for this, so I spent the next grueling hour fiddling with the vice pliers in the tight spot.

The lesson learned is that I need to get a tap handle. But above all, I need to put Time Serts in all M6 threads (cam cap bolts, valve cover bolts, engine covers) while parts are off the motor.

Oh, I'm happy to report that I didn't have to get a Big Sert kit to restore the thread that had been repaired previously with a regular coil insert.

83 1100 Ltd

More
02 Jun 2009 10:46 #295753 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Need recommendation for helicoil insert kit
Sears has a pretty good selection of tap handles and the machinist's supply stores do too. Even Harbor Freight has some cheapies.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
02 Jun 2009 10:48 #295754 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Need recommendation for helicoil insert kit
I've used keyed-locking inserts with good success. If the hole itself is not sealing (such as spark plug or drain plug) they do very well. And to install you don't need a special tool other than the right outside tap, a small punch, and a hammer.

For things like the holes for covers and such I'd used them in a heartbeat. The thing to watch out for though is how big do you have to drill and tap to put in any of these inserts. If there isn't much material the helicoils may be the only way to go.

Heres a link to the keyed inserts.

www.mcmaster.com/#key-locking-inserts

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
02 Jun 2009 10:57 #295757 by nob_1100
MFolks wrote:

Sears has a pretty good selection of tap handles and the machinist's supply stores do too. Even Harbor Freight has some cheapies.

Sears, of course. Why didn't I think of that... Thanks.

83 1100 Ltd

More
02 Jun 2009 12:33 #295795 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Need recommendation for helicoil insert kit
Home depot does as well.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust