testing compression while motors on bench?????

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 May 2009 13:32 #290846 by trianglelaguna
testing compression while motors on bench????? was created by trianglelaguna
i have a z-1900 sitting on my workbench......i have everything bolted and torqued,no pipes,ign plate,or carbs mounted......and a tie ratchet strap to secure the motor to the bench top ......i have a thread in dial guage with a button to release pressures......

can anyone explain if my battery and the guage will turn the starter and give readings....do i depress the comp gage button while cranking....do i ground the battery to the motor and hook the positive terminal to my starters black wire????
ect....ect......never done a compression test and also the motors out on my bench....thanks guys.....i know it is a stupid question but im learning here...thanks craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
13 May 2009 14:16 #290859 by kzz1p
trianglelaguna wrote:

i have a z-1900 sitting on my workbench......i have everything bolted and torqued,no pipes,ign plate,or carbs mounted......and a tie ratchet strap to secure the motor to the bench top ......i have a thread in dial guage with a button to release pressures......

can anyone explain if my battery and the guage will turn the starter and give readings....do i depress the comp gage button while cranking....do i ground the battery to the motor and hook the positive terminal to my starters black wire????
ect....ect......never done a compression test and also the motors out on my bench....thanks guys.....i know it is a stupid question but im learning here...thanks craig

Craig

You are correct on the battery hook up. I would use the starter relay in the hook up. Screw in the gauge and don't touch it. The button is to release the pressure when you are done. Hold the throttle wide open while cranking. Thats all you need............

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 May 2009 15:19 #290872 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic testing compression while motors on bench?????
thank you....i guess a rigged way might be to strap the motor down to my bench in case it wants to tip from revolution inertia...and run a couple hevier guage wires from my bikes relay to the 2nd pulled out motor on my bench..(6 feet) and i could use my starter button to crank and stop cranking aye........o.k here goes i'll try fri and see what #s i can read....thank you...craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
13 May 2009 16:39 #290888 by PLUMMEN
you dont need no button,use aset of jumper cables and just bump it over! B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
14 May 2009 21:21 #291289 by APE Jay
Do a leakdown instead.

More
14 May 2009 21:37 #291301 by PLUMMEN
spoil sport! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.