Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Repair or replace a rusted muffler? Fix a hole? 11 May 2009 12:54 #290230

• thehumble1
  • thehumble1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a KZ440 that is running but not perfectly. It's starting a bit rough, but after it warms up is holding idle at around 800-1000rpm. When I rev it, there is a small lag and stutter, but not too bad. My issue right now is that there seems to be a lot of back firing and exhaust noise, which I think might be associated with the rusted muffler. The muffler body is in good shape (no exterior holes) except for the exit hole. It's a stock muffler, so has a 1"(or about that) exit hole, but has rusted out around this from exhaust moisture. I'm guessing that this is reducing the back pressure on the system and maybe leading to some of the roughness. That's my first question: do you think I'm right about this?

My second question is what to do. right now I want to get it running and use it for a bit to see if it's a bike I want to put time/$ into, so I'm not into restoring it right now. I'm wondering if I could clean up the soft rust, use a rust stabilizer to hold together the remaining muffler end and then use JB weld or epoxy putty to rebuild the rusted out portion. Any better ideas or objections?

thanks for the feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repair or replace a rusted muffler? Fix a hole? 11 May 2009 13:31 #290240

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Rust usually grows from the inside out on exhaust systems. If you have holes breaking through, the chances are the metal is rusting near to through in other places.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Repair or replace a rusted muffler? Fix a hole? 11 May 2009 13:37 #290242

• thehumble1
  • User
so, I'm inferring that what you suggest is that I should replace the muffler completely. The stock muffler is welded, so I'd need to cut it above the weld and use a slip on, right? Any good resources for a new exhaust system? there really isn't too much rust on the pipes, but I'm sure there's some corrosion inside them.

Repair or replace a rusted muffler? Fix a hole? 11 May 2009 16:16 #290291

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
I know MAC makes new 2-1 systems for the 750 twin that can be had new for about $220, I got a used one of ebay for about $60. MAC probably makes one for the 440 twins, you can check their website.

www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=663

Places like JC Whitney used to sell an assortment of slip on mufflers if you want to hacksaw the pipes and put new mufflers onto the pipes.

Since you aren't sure if you want to keep it, you might want to sort out all the other problems before spending the money on the exhaust. It sounds like it needs carburetor cleaning.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Repair or replace a rusted muffler? Fix a hole? 11 May 2009 16:46 #290315

• RacerZ
  • User

Repair or replace a rusted muffler? Fix a hole? 12 May 2009 07:18 #290497

• thehumble1
  • User
Well, I cleaned up the flaking rust, cleaned it with HCl acid and washed it, then put on a JB weld patch. It's working great. Hardened rock hard in about 15 minutes with the pipe warm and I've since started sanding it so it doesn't look so much like I stuck a bunch of gum on the muffler. It should work for a few months, which will be plenty of time for me to figure out if the rest of the bike is worth putting the cash into. Sorry I don't have a before picture, but you get the idea. It's definitely a lot more quiet and it really seems like the throttle response is a lot better; less lugging before revving up.

• Page: