Oil Leak ?

More
10 May 2009 15:25 #289926 by BigBlockT
Oil Leak ? was created by BigBlockT
Hi, Guys I'm useing the short oil breather cover on my 900 with a little filter along with individual air filters so the stock air box is gone question is how do I do away with the oil mess all over the place , besides a catch can ,can I make a adapter to hose or tee that into the intake or carb boots I think the original went into the air box dont know for sure .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2009 15:28 #289927 by BigBlockT
Replied by BigBlockT on topic Oil Leak ?

More
10 May 2009 15:45 #289932 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil Leak ?
You're correct. The original crankcase breather is vented into the airbox so any fine oil vapor is sucked through the carbs and burned. The air box acts as a buffer to keep excessive oil from the carbs (it just accumulates in the airbox and runs out the drain on the bottom.) The little breather filter is more effective at keeping beetles and bees from crawling into the crankcase than it is at keeping oil vapor from escaping with other crankcase gases. Then, as you have found, the oil mist just accumulates and makes a mess. One more reason I'm no fan of pods for street bikes. If you were to run a hose from the breather tube directly into one of the carbs you may end up fouling that cylinder. Some folks have run a hose to a catch can, or I suppose you could just run the hose down behind the engine so it drips on the ground (as long as it isn't so much as to coat the rear tire with oil). Just be careful not to make it too restrictive, the crankcase needs to breath. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 May 2009 21:45 #290100 by Pro_window78
Replied by Pro_window78 on topic Oil Leak ?
How long does it take to saturate it?

More
10 May 2009 23:02 #290112 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Oil Leak ?
You can take a length of hose and run it up to where the air box used to be and then put the filter on that. It will get the end far enough away from the motor to keep the oil in the hose.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125