Engine builders question

More
07 Mar 2006 04:41 #28960 by Snakebyte
Engine builders question was created by Snakebyte
A 650 engine is being converted to a 750. By boring the case and installing the 750 jugs with pistons. My question is- What about the balance of the engine? Do you have to rebalance the engine? Since these turn 9000+ rpm. Also if installing the 810 kit that will throught it off more. What do you think about balancing? Does it need to be done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2006 07:45 #28976 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Engine builders question
falicon or some place like that could probably do it,i think it would be pretty pricey though.ive never had a motorcycle crank and pistons balanced i allways do car engines when i build them though.;)

More
07 Mar 2006 08:45 #28993 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine builders question
I have never heard of anyone balancing the crank when installing 750 pistons on a 650, or installing an 810 kit, and I have never heard anyone complain about additional vibration, so I'd say it's probably not needed.

KD9JUR

More
07 Mar 2006 10:10 #29013 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Engine builders question
I think you are looking at it the wrong way.
If the crank is balanced from the factory (rotating mass)
Then it does not matter what the pistons weight as long as they all weight the same.
2 going up while 2 go down (on a 4 cyl.)
It balances itself. B)

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
07 Mar 2006 12:29 #29062 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Engine builders question
Inline four cylinder cranks are "self canceling" It doesn't matter how much the bolt on components weigh, as long as they all weigh exactly the same. So you do not need to rebalance your crank for what you are doing.

See our crank site
www.racecranks.com

Jay

More
08 Mar 2006 00:44 #29292 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Engine builders question
I have taken v8's to get balanced before and they allways ask for the pistons, rings, connecting rods, crank, etc.
What your telling me is that the inline fours are self balancing and dont require a balance. If everythiing weights the same I will be fine:unsure: