EFI conversion

• high toned son of a bitch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2006 17:46 #28815 by high toned son of a bitch
EFI conversion was created by high toned son of a bitch
Hey guys,
On my 81 kz1000 shaft drive, could I run efi on it? I found a few kits on Evilbay, says they are off of the 1000 models

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kawasaki-fuel-in...temZ4619300759QQrdZ1

There are other auctions that have the throttle body's and remaining parts. I think I could get everything needed to do it, but would I see any performance gains?

I gues what I'm asking is "Will I get anymore performance from a KZ1000 st, (that has pods and a 4 into 1 header), if I switch to factory fuel injection?"
thanks,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2006 18:39 #28842 by steell
Replied by steell on topic EFI conversion
I would not use the stock computer, I think the MegaSquirt in considerably better, the other parts will work and make the conversion easy.

The experience with EFI conversions has been approximately a 10% gain in performance and fuel economy (using a MegaSquirt).
The MegaSquirt is not a bolt on, you have to tune it using a laptop, so it's not the easiest but I think it is the best solution.

Info at the following links

www.msefi.com/index.php

MegaSquirt Manual

KD9JUR

• high toned son of a bitch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2006 19:09 #28876 by high toned son of a bitch
Replied by high toned son of a bitch on topic EFI conversion
Thanks Steell,
I am familiar with the MS. My father and I just put togather a v2.2 and 3.0 for our hotrods. I think for now I will stick with the carbs. I was thinking a bit outside the box, but the more I look into the factory Kaw injection, the more I move back into the box:laugh:

I have another set of carbs I think I may switch to. I will post the model numbers tomarro, and what modifications the engine will have. I will have more questions then for shore.:lol:

Thanks,
mike

More
06 Mar 2006 19:55 #28896 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic EFI conversion
The factory EFI unit is very problematic - the black box is very unreliable. Plus the system is not easily tuned - it is what it is, and difficult to modify for any performance changes (like a 4-1 pipe).

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
06 Mar 2006 20:32 #28911 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic EFI conversion
efi the bastich. 8^)

i'd like to do this to one of my bikes over the next couple of years. lots to study up on.

been thinking custom manifold, custom fuel rail, large 50mm tb(or something in that ballpark), some small injectors, latest version of MS...

keep us posted if you do this on your bike. always good to pool info.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four