oil leak (cam plug) for the lazy wrencher

More
06 Mar 2006 11:03 #28687 by kzjames
I know this has been addressed before, but I have a question on this topic that I am not sure has been addressed.... Oil leaking from around the cam plugs seems to be a common problem on these KZ's... both of mine do it to different degrees. I am a very short on time wrencher and don;t want to break down these engines at 3 in the morning when I actually have an hour to myself....
has anyone had any luck stoping these leaks without taking the cam cover off, ( I am trying to avoid scraping & replacing gaskets).. I am assuming that part of what causes the leak is pressure from inside... so would an external patch be out of the question? (I mean something as basic as rubing some kind of sealer on the outside of the plug?)

if my sig does not show, I have a 77 kz 1000ltd and 83 1100 gpz.

thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2006 19:00 #28870 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic oil leak (cam plug) for the lazy wrencher
You could certainly clean around the plugs real good with some brake cleaner then take some blue (closest to clear) RTV silicon and smear a thin layer around the cam plug.

This would of course just be a band-aid and may or may not help depending on how severe the leak is.

To do it right you will need to pull the cam cover, order a new gasket and end caps, use #2 permatex or similar on the caps when installing and you should be good. Most of the time there is only minimal cleaning required with the valve cover gaskets. Shouldn't cost more than $20 and an hour or two of wrenching going slow.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
06 Mar 2006 19:18 #28879 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic oil leak (cam plug) for the lazy wrencher
Actually it's not internal pressure that causes them to leak. It's simple father time causing them to age and dry out, therefore no longer sealing.

Savedrider is right. silicone will work as a band-aid, but WILL leak again over time (I tried this on my bike too because I'm lazy :whistle: ).

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ