Starter Clutch Woes

More
06 Mar 2006 05:24 #28645 by TLH101
Starter Clutch Woes was created by TLH101
Well my starter clutch would slip & not engage most times. Only start the engine when it was warm. Would kick out if it had to turn over more than a couple of revs to start. So, I torn it down to replace clutch. Go t the old clutch out without any problems. Could not find any damage or wear, but replaced it anyhow. Put the bike all back together and it's not working any better. I checked the drive gear on the starter, and the idler gear. There is no sign of any slippage or disengagements in either gear.
Anyone have any ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2006 18:06 #29981 by TLH101
Replied by TLH101 on topic Starter Clutch Woes
Anyone have any ideas?:S

More
10 Mar 2006 18:20 #29986 by NOS
Replied by NOS on topic Starter Clutch Woes
I don't know much about this, but it seems that you should check the voltage that is getting to the starter from the solenoid(hope I spelled that right:whistle: ). I don't know if that will help you or not, but it's worth a try... I guess :unsure:

Post edited by: NOS, at: 2006/03/10 21:21

More
10 Mar 2006 19:41 #29998 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Starter Clutch Woes
I've looked at the service manual's description of the starter clutch, the parts diagram and read the service manual theory of operation. When you replaced the clutch (I assume you mean the piece with the springs and dogs), did you also replace the starter clutch gear (the gear that engages with the idle gear)? My guess is that a slight bit of grooving in that hub would cause slippage.

If a product like Slick 50 had been put in the engine, I might suspect that it could allow slippage as well.

Is it possible for the springs and dogs to be installed backwards in the clutch body or the clutch body itself installed backwards? The diagrams aren't detailed enough for me to tell.

These are a few thoughts that I've had since reading your posting a day or two back. I know a guy locally whose 650 is doing the same thing. Although I've not had one of these apart, I've been studying the construction and description so I think I have it figured out. :unsure:

- Nate >>

Post edited by: n0nb, at: 2006/03/10 22:43

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
11 Mar 2006 22:48 #30248 by typhoon
Replied by typhoon on topic Starter Clutch Woes
The clutch on my 650 was doing that when I bought the bike, and two springs were broken in the clutch assembly.
I think spring tension and length would be quite critical, and I would replace all three springs, check roller diameter( probably replace them too) and check the inner clutch surface the rollers roll on (on teh starter gear) for lack of pitting, grooving etc.
I ended up replacing springs and rollers on my bike, plus I got anotyher newer starter gear as well, just for good measure.
I suppose the starter gear could be turned down and larger diameter ollers could be used if things were bad, but the roller surface on the starter gear is probably hardened?

Regards, Andrew.

gpzrider.com/
For all your air/liquid cooled GPZ fun!

More
12 Mar 2006 03:08 #30263 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Starter Clutch Woes
I don't know what kind of bike we are discussing here. I have a 1000 Mark II engine and this also relates to 900 cc engines.
It's early and i might make a mistake trying to explain this.
Same thing happened to my bike and i learned that there a three diffrent sizes of ,(could we call them thrust washers?)that fit behind the fly wheel.
The one you use depends on some measurement that i cannot bring to mind this early in the morning.
I don't think this info is in my manual. I learned it from a Kawasaki mechanic after replacing a starter clutch and my bike still didn't work.
The washers align the flywheel gear with starter gears.

:whistle:

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
12 Mar 2006 04:55 #30281 by TLH101
Replied by TLH101 on topic Starter Clutch Woes
The starter clutch has been replaced, and all the gears have been thoroughly inspected. When the motor is cold, it wont engage nough to start the engine. When warmed up it will start it every time.:unsure:

More
12 Mar 2006 05:44 #30293 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Starter Clutch Woes
Which thrust washer are you using? How are the gears aligned with each other?

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
25 Mar 2006 15:50 #34244 by fische
Replied by fische on topic Starter Clutch Woes
i would check your electrical system,

if the start isn't getting enough power then it will give out and start to slip(so i understand at least, someone correct me if i'm wrong)

since your starter works when the engine is warm(pistons easier to crank over and a fully charged battery) i would suspect its an electical problem not starter or starter clutch problem

check here for a set of instructions on how to check your starter's electrical
its the post by wiredgeorge btw

Post edited by: fische, at: 2006/03/25 18:53

Post edited by: fische, at: 2006/03/25 18:54

More
25 Mar 2006 20:03 #34302 by kz550krazy
Replied by kz550krazy on topic Starter Clutch Woes
I agree with Fische....electrical was the issue with my 550's starter. A wire was shorting out on the frame. Look your wires over really well. The wire insulation was cracked on my bike.