Clutch Cable Replacement Issues

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
28 Apr 2009 20:41 #286107 by clutch
Clutch Cable Replacement Issues was created by clutch
I really did curse myself picking my username! I was out riding my 82 kz750 E yesterday and the clutch cable broke. I had gone through replacement on the kz250 I had, but this is a different setup.

Luckily, I had a spare clutch cable in the garage that came with the spare engine parts that I got with the bike. I removed the broken cable and proceeded to install the new one. When I thought I was done, I put the engine sprocket cover back on, and even the shift lever. After that, I adjusted the cable tension with the twisty-nut thingy and pulled the lever.

For some reason, it does not seem to be functioning properly. I removed everything again and checked to see if anything was noticeably out of place, but I just can't figure it out.

What is happening is that it seems to work just fine for the first pull or two and then gradually increases in difficulty until I can't really move the lever. It is also making a strange semi-grinding sound which I think may be either the cable itself or the spring on the bottom end. The cable moves freely without any tension, so I am at a loss for what to do to fix this.

I'm hoping some of you kz gurus may have the super-secret-super-easy fix for me. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2009 21:15 #286118 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Clutch Cable Replacement Issues
See if the clutch push rod is free of built up chain lube(this happens on the bigger Z's and KZ's) Lube the clutch mechanism that moves the clutch push rod too.

Has the cluch cable been lubricated? The clamp on cable luber works well on these cables, if not remove the cable,make a aluminum foil cone and hang the cable up with a catch pan underneath and put some 40 weight engine oil in the cone and let it work overnight.

The excess will collect in the pan.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2009 21:29 #286124 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Clutch Cable Replacement Issues
MFolks,

The clutch push rod is nice and clean. I took a good look at that piece of the puzzle when I couldn't figure it out. It didn't have any chain lube on it though. It's supposed to rain here for the next week, so it won't hurt to lube the cable. I will give the aluminum foil cone trick a try and see where that gets me.

If anyone else has any ideas to try, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks MFolks,

Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2009 23:17 #288053 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Clutch Cable Replacement Issues
I forgot to come back and post that lubing the cable did the trick! Thanks for the advice! :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
05 May 2009 10:04 #288141 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch Cable Replacement Issues
The cone oil drip technique usually does all right, especially when left working overnight.

But if in more of a hurry, these little cable-luber tools come in handy to quickly power inject any spray-can type lubricant of choice into and throughout the cable.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: