Clutch cable??

More
26 Apr 2009 14:17 #285432 by vincentmoy
Clutch cable?? was created by vincentmoy
Hi all,

I got my 1st bike, a 80 KZ750H1 LTD. Thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=10&id=285331

I can't really ride a bike yet so my roomate took it for a spin. He points out a few problems and one of them is the clutch seems to be really stiff. I am wondering if I just need to replace the cable and it will be good to go.

Thanks!

Vincent

KZ750 LTD
Miles: Unknown (speedo cable broke)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2009 14:26 #285433 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Clutch cable??
unless the cable is siezed solid or has frayed ends you can usally just buy a thing called a cable luber and inject cable lubeinto the end until you get flow out the other end usally i'll do it a couple times before i use them work the inner cable back and forth after you have taken it right off the bike [easy to do but before you do anything buy your self a manual and get familier with the in's and outs of your bike. do that and any problems that crop up will be childs play to take care of and you wont be losing your mind over something simple. most of the guy's on here think the factory manual is the way to go that is great if you can find the right one for your specific bike but most times you will have to settle for a clymer or a haynes of the two i prefer clymer just because of the phrases that are used the haynes are made in england and they have a lot of wierd terminolgy compared to us north americans but any manual is better then none. by the way welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycles and to our kz clan.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
26 Apr 2009 15:56 #285456 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Clutch cable??
Vince, Welcome. from posts,it sounds like your' kz has been sitting.Lean on your' roomie, do what is neccesary to make it at least compliant.(not perfect) stiff cables can usually be lubed/worked to function. I see a carb clean and some frustration in your' immediate future. set realistic goals. address safty issues first, take the course, It can save alot of unlearning bad habits. have fun G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
27 Apr 2009 02:11 #285618 by vincentmoy
Replied by vincentmoy on topic Clutch cable??
I just got myself this factory manual.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Kinda off topic but when I was browsing for my KZ750 manual, there is another one with a GPZ as the cover. Are they different?

KZ750 LTD
Miles: Unknown (speedo cable broke)

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
27 Apr 2009 07:20 - 27 Apr 2009 07:37 #285653 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Clutch cable??
Given you don't know how old that cable is, or if it's been lubed ever, I would simply replace it with a new one, and eliminate that as a potential problem for good. It is a wearable part, and some times, they snap, if not cared for. I try to replace mine every three years any way.

The GPZs were more of a factory 'hot rodded' version of the KZs. Most parts were same, except parts like camshafts, combustion chambers, and others bits that needed to be more heavy duty, or performance oriented. If your bike is a KZ, get a KZ manual
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 07:37 by hugo.