New exhaust system... exhaust leaks.

More
05 Mar 2006 13:59 #28444 by Alex_KZ1K
New exhaust system... exhaust leaks. was created by Alex_KZ1K
Ok, I want to start by saying I'm an idiot. With that said, I'll tell you why I have exhaust leaks. I installed my MAC 4-1 system today using the metal exhaust holders that the system came with and new o-rings. I don't know if the metal holders were the wrong depth or something, but I ended up snapping 3 out of 4 flanges before the nuts were even seated. I don't even know what the hell happened... Would that happen if I put the left sides on the right or something? :blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2006 14:34 #28459 by steell
Replied by steell on topic New exhaust system... exhaust leaks.
Are you talking about the half moon shaped keepers?
I have not installed a MAC on a four cylinder but on the 750 twins the MAC does not use those. If the flanges are welded to the pipes, then there is no need for those collars, they are only used when the flanges slide on the pipes.

KD9JUR

More
05 Mar 2006 17:34 #28525 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic New exhaust system... exhaust leaks.
Yeah, I definitly need those collars, I just think they may have been the wrong length or something...

More
05 Mar 2006 18:10 #28536 by bluegill
Replied by bluegill on topic New exhaust system... exhaust leaks.
Don't know about your bike, but here's how the MAC 4-1 goes on my 4cyl 750E1. No collars. Ignore the rusty bolts, now replaced.

I remember having trouble getting the exhaust seated correctly. I had to do it a couple of times due to leaks and my paranoia about breaking a stud, but it's solid now. The pipes have to be aligned just right.

More
05 Mar 2006 18:11 #28537 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic New exhaust system... exhaust leaks.
I'll get some pics of my MAC 4-1, it didnt use any of the stock stuff either
Scott

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/03/05 21:13

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
06 Mar 2006 05:27 #28647 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic New exhaust system... exhaust leaks.
My flanges, the ones that broke, were the originals (the steel with fins type). I ordered a set of 4 flat aluminum flanges from Z1E yesterday. I'll try without the collars and see what happens.