oil seals

More
05 Mar 2006 11:54 #28401 by missileman
oil seals was created by missileman
I continue the rebuild on my 1015. Note this bike was in pretty good shape before the rebuild but had a few oil leaks. (i.e., head gasket, base gasket, front sproket/trans cover area). Starting in the oil pan area, what should I replace while I've got the oil pan off? I ordered the oil gasket kit from kzinterprises and there are many more o-rings and gaskets than I probably need but I want to do the right thing, especially since I have the parts. I plan on replacing the large o-ring between the pan and the case, the small o-ring on the shaft that goes up through the center of the oil filter, and obviously the oil pan gasket. But thats about it in the oil pan area. I know there is an o-ring on the other side of that oil pump, but I'm electing to leave it alone because everything already looked pretty good. (note I'm not going to take the engine out of the frame)

In the front sproket area, I'm replacing the following on the trans cover, big seal around front sproket shaft, clutch push rod, gear shift shaft (three identical seals for trans cover and large cover).

Any advise or lessons learned would be appreciated in these two areas. I'm sure I will follow up with other questions in the head and block ares when I get to them.

One other thing, what kind of grease should I use on the push rod and gear assembly. Additionally, should I do anything special on the seals I'm installing to help installation...like coat with grease or oil. If so, what type.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2006 15:15 #28474 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic oil seals
Clean the pan out when you have it off. Replace the drain plug with a magnetic drain plug if you don't have one already. Z1enterprises.com probably has one. The bottom of your pan is covered in nasty sludge. Clean off the screen on the oil pan.

When you reinstall the pan, make sure you clean the gasket mating surfaces. I ALWAYS use NAPA spray or liquid gasket sealer to ensure no leaks in the future. I use this stuff on all gaskets on the engine.

As far as seals go, you have a seal in the inner points cover, the kicker cover, one in the outer countershaft cover for the external gearshift rod and three in the inner countershaft cover; one for the clutch rod, one for the shifter and one for the countershaft. To get these out, just pry them. Wipe the surface with solvent; they should still be pretty clean. Install the new seals by putting them in place and tapping them gently around the edges till they are evenly started then use a large socket to drive them into place. You need no grease but it wouldn't hurt if you used some. Just drive them in evenly and gently... tap around the edge of whatever you are using to drive them in place and they will go right in.

I use a 1/2" impact socket set to drive all the seals and the largest socket is 33mm I think. If you don't have sockets this size, you can go to a hardware and get a set of plumbing handle sockets. These get pretty big and are hex shaped but will work fine. In fact, I can drive most anything that needs driving on my bike with the impact sockets except larger wheel bearings; like 6304 type which are quite a bit larger than the largest socket I have.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Mar 2006 16:02 #28490 by missileman
Replied by missileman on topic oil seals
Thanks WG. I am honered to have you respond to my post. I just joined this site recently after purchasing my bike and I've been reading quite a bit of your archive posts.....you da man.

Already done a lot of what you suggested cause I've read your other posts...10-4 on cleaning the gasket surface, using NAPA gasket sealer, etc. Thanks for the tips on installing the seals...what about the grease for the push rod and rotating gear that attaches to clutch cable? What do you use? While I'm at it, what type compound do you use to lap valves?

Thanks again.