Need info on valve guide

More
19 Apr 2009 18:47 #283171 by jcote75
Need info on valve guide was created by jcote75
Hi,

Purchase a new GPZ1100B1 this week end. It seem to have a GPZ unitrack motor in it since the fuel injection port are not in the head and that it got gpz side motor cover. Is there other to recognize them without removing the valve cover?

My more important question is that I had remove the carbs and exhaust today. Took a lamp and check the intake to see if everything is fine at first view. Everything Ok there.

Done the same thing on the exhaust side and it appear that a valve guide (the tip that comming out)is broken in cyl #3.

What the danger of running like that? Bent a valve, hit piston ect...... or is it safe?

Thanks in advance,
Joce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2009 20:10 #283207 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Need info on valve guide
Joce, If the broken piece of guide is still on valve and free to wander, yes, it represents a definite hazard. when it does come loose it can damage piston/valves/head/cyl. if on the other hand, is missing, risk is less. in many cases race flowed heads may have guides bobbed for greater flow. Shortening guides accelerates wear and shortens seal life. by far the most common cause of broken guides is from valve failure, IE a valve which has made piston contact and been driven laterally into guide. in either case, I personally would attend to it. I dislike "band-aids" luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
19 Apr 2009 20:15 #283208 by jcote75
Replied by jcote75 on topic Need info on valve guide
Tks for the reply.

The tips is all gone. I suspect it went in the exhaust.

The bike is running and fire on that cylinder.

I'll probably do a leak down test and see what I do with it after.

Just didn't want to put a additonnal $$$ right now....

More
19 Apr 2009 20:53 #283227 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Need info on valve guide
J, I understand. If bit is missing and remainder of guide is intact risk is just that of accelerated wear & oil processing.I would check that plug for build-up periodicly, and ride. luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1