oil leaks

More
19 Apr 2009 00:32 #282999 by dodak1967
oil leaks was created by dodak1967
I have an 80 KZ1000LTD. Oil leaks from the cam cover. Im going to replace the gasket and cam end covers myself. Any tips on keepin it a one time job? Any special type of sealant to use? any help would be appreciated.

Tom
West Allis, Wisconsin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2009 08:04 #283066 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic oil leaks
dodak1967; I used to follow the manual's advice and put sealer on the end plugs and gasket. I ended up needing a new gasket every time I did the valves. I read on another site about coating the gasket and end plugs with grease! Sounded exactly opposite to what I considered a standard practice. So last time I ordered two gaskets and new end plugs and followed the guys recommendations. Guess what? No leaks. I betting that when I do the valves again, I'm not going to need that second gasket I've got on the shelf. The added value is that I don't have to scrape all that old material off of the mating surfaces. Not exactly fun. Make sure your surfaces are flat. I've used a flat mill bastard or second pattern file with success. You want to clean the debris out of the file after each stroke and make sure nothing gets in the motor. Very light touch is needed. Give it a try, you will like it. BTW, I'm not a pro wrench, just a cheap do it yourselfer. Ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.