Valve Clearances Changed after Cleaning Head

More
13 Apr 2009 15:48 #281445 by HerrDeacon
Before I put the bike away for the winter I checked my valve clearances and the exhaust were all within spec and the intakes all a bit tight. So I ordered the correct shims, but in the meantime I removed the head and cleaned everything up (combustion chamber and valves).

Now that everything is back together I rechecked them and now one of the exhaust clearances is tight and one of the intakes is still tight. I don't really mind the intake because it could be my fault in ordering the wrong size shim, but I'm wondering about the exhaust one. Would cleaning everything up possibly change the clearance? I guess some carbon could have affected the gap before it was all cleaned up.

No big deal, I'll just get the correct size shims but was wondering if it was common for this to happen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2009 17:00 #281458 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Valve Clearances Changed after Cleaning Head
yep thats why you never order rings/bearings or any major parts before cleaning things up first. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Apr 2009 17:07 #281460 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Valve Clearances Changed after Cleaning Head
on higher mileage engines it is comman for carbon to build up on the valve face and on the valve seat when you clean it up the you will tighten up the clearances. shouldn't be anything to worry about now if the clearances loosened up i'd be concerned

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
13 Apr 2009 18:34 #281476 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Valve Clearances Changed after Cleaning Head
Thanks guys for the explanation, figured it must have been that. I hate finding something and not knowing the cause.

More
13 Apr 2009 19:08 #281489 by cornhappy
Replied by cornhappy on topic Valve Clearances Changed after Cleaning Head
Loose valve cclearances are noisy, tight clearances burn valves. If I had to choose between loose and tight I'd go with loose. If you have no valvetrain noise but your valve clearances are loose, let it be.

More
13 Apr 2009 21:07 #281548 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve Clearances Changed after Cleaning Head
HerrDeacon wrote:

Before I put the bike away for the winter I checked my valve clearances and the exhaust were all within spec and the intakes all a bit tight. So I ordered the correct shims, but in the meantime I removed the head and cleaned everything up (combustion chamber and valves).

Now that everything is back together I rechecked them and now one of the exhaust clearances is tight and one of the intakes is still tight. I don't really mind the intake because it could be my fault in ordering the wrong size shim, but I'm wondering about the exhaust one. Would cleaning everything up possibly change the clearance? I guess some carbon could have affected the gap before it was all cleaned up.

No big deal, I'll just get the correct size shims but was wondering if it was common for this to happen?

\

It's because garbage can accumulate on the valve so that it doesn't close fully. Clean that off and the valve setas and he clearance tightens up. Been there, seen that.

1979 KZ-750 Twin