wheres the dipstick

More
03 Mar 2006 22:32 #28072 by valikkool
wheres the dipstick was created by valikkool
i just bought a kz 750 a week ago never been on a bike before and i was wondering how to measure the oil level so i can know if i should add the oil cuz i dont want to ruin it thanks also im having trouble finding information on this bike only thing i am sure of is that its a 79 kz750 thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2006 22:40 #28077 by NOS
Replied by NOS on topic wheres the dipstick
I have a 1982 KZ550 and there is a round glass window (it's about 1 inch across)on the right side near the rear brake pedal. there should be two lines to the left side of the window the top line is the max oil level.
I think that should be correct for the KZ750:unsure:

If I'm wrong someone will correct me ;)

I hope that helps :)

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
03 Mar 2006 22:41 #28078 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic wheres the dipstick
Your name around here is Dipstick now. may as well change your log in info right now (kidding of course)
My brother asked the same question to a bunch of Harley riders and they laughed really hard. now they call him Dipstick.

theres a little glass window on the lower right side of the engine. it will show you the oil level. check it on the center stand.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2006 22:41 #28079 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic wheres the dipstick
right side of motor towards bottem of clutch cover should be sightglass with two marks high-low.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
03 Mar 2006 22:49 #28082 by valikkool
Replied by valikkool on topic wheres the dipstick
thanks for the help, i can take a burn, i did feel slightly dumb for asking that but a cant find a service manual anywhere for that year and model

More
04 Mar 2006 02:15 #28094 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic wheres the dipstick
valikkool:

Here's some more dumb questions: (I never grew out of asking them). You say you know for sure that it is a 1979 yr model. Is this based on the title, what is printed on the steering stock head, or what the PO told you? How many cylinders does it have? As for the inability to locate a manual, if you haven't done so already, join eBay. It's free...most of us support our motorcycle addiction by buying on eBay....and your manual will appear on eBay...I recommend you only buy the Kawasaki Heavy Industries manual (it should be reasonably priced e.g. less than US$30.00).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
04 Mar 2006 04:16 #28096 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic wheres the dipstick
valikkool wrote:

thanks for the help, i can take a burn, i did feel slightly dumb for asking that but a cant find a service manual anywhere for that year and model

Welcome aboard!

Regarding the manual, in my opinion there is no better manual made than the original from Kawasaki. Like McDroid said, they can be found on eBay.

But, just to be sure, I want to give you the link to buy it directly from Kawasaki if you need to, or if you just want a point of reference:
Service Manual for the '76 - '79 KZ750B, part #99997-744-04 .

I also want to give you the link to the parts diagrams for your bike from buykawasaki.com .

...of course, this assumes that your bike is a twin... I can't remember if they made a 4 in '79... ...oh, and how sure are you that i's a '79? If that's the manufacture date on the headstock, it could be an '80. Why not post the VIN here, and we'll tell you exactly what it is?

Enjoy!

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
04 Mar 2006 06:24 #28124 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic wheres the dipstick
Biquetoast wrote:

...of course, this assumes that your bike is a twin... I can't remember if they made a 4 in '79... ...oh, and how sure are you that i's a '79? If that's the manufacture date on the headstock, it could be an '80. Why not post the VIN here, and we'll tell you exactly what it is?

Enjoy!

1980 is the first year they produced the 750 four cylinder model which I think did in the 650's popularity. It seems 1980 and later 650's are much rarer than pre 1980 models.

valikkool, a bit of Google searching might turn up something as well. I know that I downloaded a scanned copy of the 750E (four cylinder) service manual last year that someone linked to. I'm not sure if anyone has ever done that for the earlier models. Based on my experience the genuine Kawasaki manual is the best. If you want a bit of a different perspective a Clymer manual would be a good addition. A little bit of patience on eBay can reap a lot of rewards. Enjoy!

- Nate >>

Post edited by: n0nb, at: 2006/03/04 09:24

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
04 Mar 2006 06:52 #28131 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic wheres the dipstick
N0NB wrote:

...a bit of Google searching might turn up something as well. I know that I downloaded a scanned copy of the 750E (four cylinder) service manual last year that someone linked to. I'm not sure if anyone has ever done that for the earlier models....

Ha! I completely forgot. I have it on my website.

The complete "Kawasaki Service Manual" for the '76-'79 KZ750 twin in PDF format , donated by Homer/Davie from KZRider.com.

It kinda' got chewed up a bit in converting from DOC format to PDF in OpenOffice - after being chewed up a bit from the OCR in MS Office - but I hope it helps...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
04 Mar 2006 07:20 #28144 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic wheres the dipstick
Suggest draining oil that's in there and having a look at it and the filter. -Duck

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
04 Mar 2006 09:37 #28172 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic wheres the dipstick
valikkool wrote:

No reason to feel dumb, we've ALL been there at one time or another.
It's just our way of "sharing the love". :laugh:

If you aren't able to copy and/or print the PDF formatted factory service manual that Biquetoast linked to, you can always order one directly through Kawasaki:
Kawasaki Motors Corporation
ATTN: Consumer Services
P.O. Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA
92799-5252

They have a fairly complete library of out of print manuals in stock, and make a copies that they sell to the general public.
Don't worry about the copy quality, it's very good.
It even includes a COLOR picture of the bike on the outer cover and colored wiring diagram within it too.

I'd first recommend finding out EXACTELY which year and model your bike is, that way you can order the correct manual. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
04 Mar 2006 10:44 #28178 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic wheres the dipstick
Welcome to the site Dipstick :laugh:

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com