How hard to replace "carburetor holder"?

More
10 Apr 2009 15:40 #280367 by Ashbane
sku #16065-036 there's two of them on my '76 twin B1 going into the manifold, black plastic looking deals. A guy today pointed out they're cracked pretty bad all around them and could be a big cause of the engine being hard to start and running rough.

I saw them on a site as OEM for $36 for the pair and Z1 was closed by the time I called them. Is this something a guy who previously could replace a starter or alternator on his old car do himself without making things worse?

1976 KZ750 B1 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2009 15:43 #280369 by Ashbane
Replied by Ashbane on topic How hard to replace "carburetor holder"?
items #23 in the lower right

1976 KZ750 B1 Twin

More
10 Apr 2009 17:44 #280414 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How hard to replace "carburetor holder"?
They're very simple to do. Remove the carbs, remove and replace the holders, replace the carbs. You may want to put some penetrating oil (I love Kroil) on the screws a day or two ahead of time as some folks find them hard to remove. I used Kroil on mine (they hadn't been touch since new) and they came right out. If you don't have the Kawasaki factory service manual you should pick on up from eBay. It will guide you through how to adjust the carb cables when you replace the carbs, and you'll find you use it for 10,000 other service items over time. If your holders show any signs of cracking you can bet they're leaking where the holders mate to the cylinder head. You're bike will be very happy with new ones if that is the case. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Apr 2009 20:37 #280513 by Ashbane
Replied by Ashbane on topic How hard to replace
They're definitely cracking. The cracks aren't gaping wide but are very visible and go up and around each holder plain as day.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try. I'm all thumbs when it comes to delicate stuff like carbs so hopefully I don't mess them up in the process.

1976 KZ750 B1 Twin