Need an opinion!! Possible starter clutch issue

• PhildoBaggins
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2009 05:50 #280247 by PhildoBaggins
Hey guys i really need some advice on this one before i dig into the heart of the engine.

When i start the bike i can still hear the starter wind up after doing some reading and checking into i believe the reason to be that the starter clutch has not disengaged. We have been noticing a power drain as the bike runs at idle so does anybody have any pointers on tackling this. What the best way about to fixing the starter clutch if we have to go that route.

1975 Kawasaki Z1B Cafe (Project)
1979 Yamaha Xs400 Cafe Daytona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2009 13:39 #280325 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Need an opinion!! Possible starter clutch issue
The starter clutch on mine is bolted to the flywheel, so you have to pull the flywheel to change it. Not sure about yours.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Apr 2009 13:57 #280328 by MFolks
If the bike cranks(turns over) with the ignition switch off, the starter solenoid may have a broken return spring internally keeping the starter motor engaged. The only repair would to see if you can get inside it and replace the spring or better yet, take the old solenoid to a riding lawn mower shop and see what might fit.

Sears and John Deere(sp) carry a lot of repair parts including starter solenoids.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)