Replacing oil seals

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2006 12:02 #27884 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replacing oil seals was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
Do I have to split the cases if I want to replace the various engine oil seals? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2006 12:36 #27889 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Replacing oil seals
All oil seals are in engine covers. You have several in the inner sprocket cover, the kicker, the inner points cover and the outer sprocket cover... I think you had best split the cases to swap out the cam chain and do the grinding to fit the block. It only takes a couple more hours work. I chase the thread on all 17 uppeer and 5 lower case bolts and use Hondabond HT to seal when I am done. Gives you a good chance to measure play on the crank bearings as well and inspect the transmission gears and forks. Come on, you are ALMOST there... split those cases... You will need three 8mmx1.25 pitch bolts. Only thing to watch for is to NOT lose the o-ring for the oil pump which sits between the cases and not use the little locating half moons that sit under the bushings between the case halves. Oh yeah, Loctite all internal case bolts; pay attention to torque specs and tightening patterns and put some liquid gasket goop (I use copper Permatex Form-a-Gasket) under the bolt heads).

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/03/03 15:38

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 Mar 2006 12:39 #27890 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Replacing oil seals

Post edited by: RomSpaceKnight, at: 2006/03/03 15:41