Clutch Question

More
01 Apr 2009 18:20 #277515 by insignia100
Clutch Question was created by insignia100
I've got a question about my clutch. My bike probably hasn't been ridden since last summer. I noticed today that the clutch seems to be dragging. I can't seem to get the rear wheel to turn when I pull in the clutch.

I've read that this can be a problem in bikes that have been in storage for awhile, and that it usually sorts itself out after taking it for a ride and working the clutch. However, I also wonder if the 26 year old clutch cable has stretched and could be causing the drag.

I'd also like to note that I removed the side cover to replace the front sprocket. I'm also wondering if maybe I didn't get the linkage (or whatever its called) that allows the clutch cable to operate the clutch.

When the engine is running it shifts alright, and I can shift through all the gears. The shift from neutral/2nd to 1st is a bit rough, though.

I'd really hate to burn out my clutch.

Thanks in advance!

1983 Kawasaki KZ550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
01 Apr 2009 18:56 #277526 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Clutch Question
first off ...i think it may be that the clutch actuator....worm gear....fell out and got put back in out of rotation my bet would be to remove the cover and shift lever and see if it returns to it's correct position....do you have a shop manual......did you take all the slack back in of the inline slack adjuster down by the frame/exhuast pipe...did you also take all the slack back in on the clutch lever....you have to have the worm gear in so it faces back under and away from the cables pull route....so when the cover is in your hand and you visualize a cable pulling it finishes pointed at the cable hole......then install cover ,take 90% of the slack back out at the frame/header spot lock the nuts then take up the last slack at the lever that slack may change a little as you ride and go from cold clutch to hot mine does......a stretched cable would snap or leave a floppy lever.....there is also a window on the sprocket cover and this is an adjustment spot that is covered in the manual....good luck....

up date your signiture with make and model and year and where you are located ...it helps guys to relate to your post and give better advice too.....peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
01 Apr 2009 19:05 #277531 by insignia100
Replied by insignia100 on topic Clutch Question
Thanks for the advice. I had figured that was the issue since I wasn't really sure how the clutch actuator actually worked until after I had replaced the sprocket. I'll check that out tomorrow first thing and see if it resolves the issue.

Also, sorry about not mentioning the my bike. I usually mention it. I'll update my signature right away.

1983 Kawasaki KZ550

More
02 Apr 2009 13:20 #277740 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Clutch Question
I would recommend adjusting the clutch actuator and then add about 4 ounces of seafoam to the oil and run it a few hunderd miles and do an oil change.

Running heavy oil will make the clutch drag. 10-40 should be fine, I have noticed if I run 20-50 it can make the clutch drag a bit. Like you said, it will jerk a bit when you go from neutral to first. I

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Apr 2009 15:38 #277758 by insignia100
Replied by insignia100 on topic Clutch Question
I believe I sorted out the clutch. As I figured, I didn't get the clutch actuator thinger put back together correctly. I took it back apart, aligned the plate with the ball bearings up correctly, slapped the side cover back on and it seems to work like a champ now.

1983 Kawasaki KZ550