To shift, or not to shift, that is my question...

More
29 Mar 2009 13:07 #276431 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic To shift, or not to shift, that is my question...
HerrDeacon wrote:

So when you shift without the clutch, do you let off the gas as you would when you use the clutch, or just keep it on the gas and shift away?

Shifting up just let off the gas as you shift. Downshifting you have to pop the throttle a touch and then shift.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2009 15:15 #276481 by meNmyKZ
meNmyKZ wrote:

First off, shelly, I want to shift without the clutch cuz I can. I want to, and thats why. My question is why use the clutch, if its not bad to not use it, seems like disengaging and engaging the clutch would put extra wear and tear on it. Maybe not, I have no clue. Either way I don't want to use the clutch cuz I am to lazy to pull it in every time...

Thanks to the others for answering my question. It shifts really smooth without the clutch, I think i will continue not to use it. Thanks;)

Wow, what a jerk I am. I didn't mean to come across as such like that. I just quit smoking and sometimes it shows. I do appriciate everyone who posts to a thread i start, even if it is questioning me or calling me stupid.

Thx 650ed for basically pointing out I am stupid. I need that sometimes.

That said, I think i will do a combo of both. Occationally not use the clutch(like when I am driving slow), but mostly use the clutch(cuz i like to go faster than "no-clutch" shifting seems safe.)

Thx all for posting, sry for being kinda dickish...

More
29 Mar 2009 18:16 #276540 by 650ed
meNmyKZ wrote: "Thx 650ed for basically pointing out I am stupid. I need that sometimes."

Sorry if my comment came across as being critical. I wasn't trying to bust your chops; it was just another unfortunate example of my dopey sense of humor. Guess I better keep my day job. Peace. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Mar 2009 19:00 #276578 by Pro_window78
Replied by Pro_window78 on topic To shift, or not to shift, that is my question...
I'd rather replace a clutch than split the cases. That being said, I too "powershift" from time to time just cuz I can! LOL

More
29 Mar 2009 19:09 #276583 by PLUMMEN
i use a clutch to take off ,i can downshift without it also just takes a little practice.if you wire up a switch to kill the ignition for just a second you can do it without backing off the gas if youre a really sneaky street racer type!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Mar 2009 20:01 #276610 by loudhvx
PLUMMEN wrote:

...if you wire up a switch to kill the ignition for just a second you can do it without backing off the gas if youre a really sneaky street racer type!:laugh:

Just don't leave the switch off for too many rotations or your ears will be ringing from the cherry bomb that just went off in your muffler. ;)

More
29 Mar 2009 20:10 #276614 by PLUMMEN
ya gotta be quick!:laugh: wire it into your horn button,same basic idea as dale walkers electric shifter just not as high tech!:laugh: Lou can draw a cool diagram to make it look simple im sure B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.