fresh rebuild and a small oil leak??

More
28 Mar 2009 14:45 #276122 by codsack
fresh rebuild and a small oil leak?? was created by codsack
I just got done recently rebuilding a 78' 1000 and I have a small oil leak. If you were sitting on the bike its on the right side, and its leakin where the juggs meet the engine cases at the very back corner above the points. I looked in my manual and it looks like there a oil gallery right there too. Is that port a return or pressured supply?? Can you have the gasket flipped where it would block it off and cause a leak? Any insight would be helpful. I'm sure all the old gasket was removed, but I worry that the surface was scratched or something.

Could I maybe loosen the head stud and lift the juggs just enough to put a little sealer there??

thanks guys Chase.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
28 Mar 2009 16:04 #276131 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic fresh rebuild and a small oil leak??
you cannot put the gasket on wrong. yes it is a pressured oil path. only 3psi though. have u tried re-torqueing the head yet?
if all else fails i would remove the block and try a bit of ATV silicone. an old trick i use on my last build was to put a piece of thread around the oil hole at the rear corner where yours is leaking.It did not leak, but i only put 700 miles on it.
put a film of silicone on the corner of the gasket , around the oil hole .when its dry cut the thread to size, run the thread through your fingers with a dab of silicone. just to get the thread sticky. now lay the thread down around the hole and it will stick. this is a trick from old racers. they say it will imbed into the gasket and act like a dam. You can do the same on the corner of the head gasket too. Remember though , just a film of atv silicone.
good luck.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
29 Mar 2009 10:02 - 29 Mar 2009 10:06 #276370 by codsack
Replied by codsack on topic fresh rebuild and a small oil leak??
Well I think that I got it....I loosened all the head studs/nuts and was able to pry the jugs up just enough to use a flat paint brush and apply alil gasketmaker to that area. Then again retorqueing the head after doin that might have helped too. Thanks for the info. about usin that silicone though, kind of like a very fine O - ring. I'll remember that, especially if the hole is hear the edge of a surface. later the fish.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2009 10:06 by codsack.

More
29 Mar 2009 13:12 #276433 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic fresh rebuild and a small oil leak??
codsack wrote:

Well I think that I got it....I loosened all the head studs/nuts and was able to pry the jugs up just enough to use a flat paint brush and apply alil gasketmaker to that area. Then again retorqueing the head after doin that might have helped too. Thanks for the info. about usin that silicone though, kind of like a very fine O - ring. I'll remember that, especially if the hole is hear the edge of a surface. later the fish.

FYI, my 750 twin came from the factory with some very strong sealer on the gasket between the cylinder and crankcase applied to the gasket. It was so strong it was almost impossible to get off. When I put it back together I ran a fine bead of ultra high temp black RTV gasket sealer above and below the gasket and it has sealed dead tight.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Mar 2009 17:59 #276870 by codsack
Replied by codsack on topic fresh rebuild and a small oil leak??
I've been foolin with engines and such for about 9 yrs or so, but this is the first time I went through a kz motor. She's holding so far, and for that to be the only real problem after a complete rebuild I'm happy. I appreciate all the info. and if I redo another one of these motors I'm gonna used sealer/gasketmaker on the edges in the future. thanks again guys. the fish.