oil dripping from exhaust port

More
25 Mar 2009 16:47 #275354 by kz650ryder
oil dripping from exhaust port was created by kz650ryder
I have a 79 kz650 D2.i installed a new set of coils the other day. When i went to start the bike at first it would not start and when i would turn the key from the ignition position to the stop lamp position the bike backfired.Eventually i got the bike to start but the idle adjustment screw was turnied in to far and the bike rev'd pretty high probably in the 8 to 10,000 rpm range. I turned the bike off and adjusted the idle screw but i couldn't get the bike started again. I needed a new battery. I put a new battery in and while i'm looking over the bike i notice a small oil leak that appeared to be coming from the oil drain plug. I start the bike with the new battery with no problem. I set the idle and all appears to be well. I take the bike for a short ride around the neighborhood and when i get back i check the headers to make sure that each cylinder is firing. 1,3,&4 were all hot to the touch but number two was cold. My first thought was maybe a problem with my new spark plug wires so i switch those around and again the same thing. Then i switched plugs and again the same thing. I haven't done a leak down test yet but i did one about two weeks ago and the levels were good in all 4 cylinders. As i was looking over the bike again i noticed oil dripping down one of the exhaust bolts around the number two cylinder. extremely frustated and a rather disappointed i covered the bike and haven't looked at it in a few days. Any ideas thoought or opinions on what may be the issue would be greatly apprreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2009 17:49 #275372 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic oil dripping from exhaust port
check your oil level and give it a smell does it smell like gas if so did you leave the petcock in the on position it sounds to me like the needles and seat's are leaking and it has filled up the bottom end with gas. try draining your oil and bring plenty of drain pans it will have an awful lot in the crankcase.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.