Starter clutch problems....again

• verybadmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 19:59 #275080 by verybadmonkey
Starter clutch problems....again was created by verybadmonkey
Hey everyone,
I finally finished the replacement of the starter clutch and got her put back together, and when I tried to start her she made the same cat in a wood chipper noise it did before.
My question is, could there be something else wrong that would make that noise? Could the starter be the problem, and how would I test it? Or is it more likely I replaced the starter clutch assembly with another faulty one?
I am trying to narrow down my options as I really, really, really don't want to break into the motor again. I'm not sure I can do it and keep my sanity.
Second, is there anyone in the El Paso Texas area that might be willing to make some extra cash and take on this problem for me???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• verybadmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 20:11 #275086 by verybadmonkey
Replied by verybadmonkey on topic Starter clutch problems....again
A couple of things I forgot to mention;

1. the bike is a 1980 KZ750 four

2. I checked the starter clutch before I installed it, and the little rollers and springs seemed to be in good shape. Not sure how to tell if they are bad though. There just a tiny bit of play, and they seemed to hold when I applied pressure by hand.

More
24 Mar 2009 20:18 #275092 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter clutch problems....again
The starter motor itself might need a little lube on the shaft bushings. Did you try to rotate it out of the engine?

This is a website for starter motor repair kits:
www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_star...kits/startmtrkit.htm

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Mar 2009 22:19 - 24 Mar 2009 22:21 #275125 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Starter clutch problems....again
The starter motor has quite a complicated set of gears inside it to get the RPM reduction and torque increase to turn the engine. Sounds like either they or the bearings in the motor are hosed. I have rebuilt mine before, it's doable if you have a manual.

You could take the starter motor out and spin it no load (hook it to the battery) and see if you hear the noise.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 24 Mar 2009 22:21 by bountyhunter.

• verybadmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2009 04:48 #288412 by verybadmonkey
Replied by verybadmonkey on topic Starter clutch problems....again
OK, I got the starter off and put power to it. It spins then as it gets fast it makes a little squeal. I am guessing I should rebuild it, or at the least, take it apart and clean and lubricate it.
My question is, and I know it's a strange question, but what is the normal noise these motors make when the starter gear goes out? I am asking because it's hard to imagine the starter making such a loud noise.

More
06 May 2009 15:39 #288556 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Starter clutch problems....again
The starter has gears and bearings in it. Your problem sounds more like a bad bearing, but the gears could be hosed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin