Valve Seals: How Do They Work?

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 16:43 #275000 by bountyhunter
Valve Seals: How Do They Work? was created by bountyhunter
This has been bugging me the whole two weeks AT+T has been screwing me over making me wait to get this dial up line fixed.

Valve stem seals are not actually "seals" because they have to allow some oil flow down to lube the valve shaft in the guide. How are they designed to "leak" the proper mount of oil? As far as I can see, they have a tight fit on the valve stem. I don't see any hole or groove to seep oil. There is just the rubber ring with the spring around it for tension.

Do all valve seals leak a controlled amount of oil?

Is it normal to have some oil seepage down into the combustion chamber (from the valve guide through an open valve) after the engine is turned off?

I would like to understand how the seals are designed to work.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2009 16:56 - 24 Mar 2009 17:02 #275004 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
Last edit: 24 Mar 2009 17:02 by keith1. Reason: off topic

More
24 Mar 2009 17:33 #275028 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
I'd ask at www.aperaceparts.com , www.kzzone.com or www.fastbygast.com These guys rebuild engines and can answer your question better than most people can.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
24 Mar 2009 17:43 - 24 Mar 2009 18:30 #275036 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
The way I understand it is that they ARE supposed to keep the oil from getting down the stem at all. Any stem lubrication is supposed to come from the incoming charge...
at least for the intakes.
The tolerances are made to take all expansion into account so there's no stem-to-guide seizure and also the fact that there's no lubrication.
I just overhauled a brand H tiddler and the valve stems both looked great....but they were worn below spec. The intake had a seal but no seal is fitted to the exhaust because none
is needed, apparently. The guides were still within spec...barely.
So....new valves and new seal on the intake and away she goes.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2009 18:30 by H2RICK.

More
24 Mar 2009 21:26 #275111 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
Think Gasoline!!!!

It use to be tetraethyl lead that turned into lead oxide as it burned. The layer of lead oxide, would cover the valves and the combustion chamber. The valves hit hard against the valve seats several thousand times each minute. The lead oxide acted as a cushioning agent, and protects the valve and the valve seats. The lead oxide was also a lubricating agent. This reduced wear in the valve guides, as the valves slide inside them.
Now there are other additivies in gasoline that act as lubricating and cushioning agents for the valves, seats and guides.

Or so I've been told.

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
24 Mar 2009 21:36 #275115 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
Plus the guides are bronze or brass, against steel they're a good low friction bushing. I've machined brass bushings for things that work just fine over a long term with no lube. For things without a lot of load on the wear surface, like a valve guide, it'll last a long time.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
24 Mar 2009 21:44 #275116 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
Right T_Dub and in the case of the KZ engine there's very little side loading on the valve stem because there are no rocker arms to push the valve against the guide. The DOHC design with the cam followers directly under the cam pushes the valve straight down.

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 22:14 #275121 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
Interesting replies. So, the best seal is the one that seals oil the best?

I was trying to figure out what is the typical "failure mode" for the seals. I have the four old seals (and old valves) from before the last rebuild and three of the four seals still feel pliable and tight on the valve stems... yet, they were all leaking oil like a real sob. I had one seal that was torn at the top so it was REALLY dumping oil, but the others were also leaking down into the combustion chamber and they don't look like they should have leaked.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 22:15 #275123 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve Seals: How Do They Work?
KruZer wrote:

Right T_Dub and in the case of the KZ engine there's very little side loading on the valve stem because there are no rocker arms to push the valve against the guide. The DOHC design with the cam followers directly under the cam pushes the valve straight down.

Buzz

That's what the machinist who did my head also said. I bought a new set of guides since the engine had 75k miles, and he showed me that all the original guides were as tight as the new ones so they didn't need changing. He said the guides only wear if the valves are set up wrong and they are putting a side torque on the guide.

1979 KZ-750 Twin