Cam Tensioner Installation Question - Rubber Guide

More
24 Mar 2009 14:41 #274952 by HerrDeacon
I'm about the install the head on my '78 650 SR and I can't determine how the two little rubber bits fit onto the tensioner shaft (part inside the engine). The two bits I'm talking about are #7 in the attached picture. The two bits in mine are not square but sort of angled on the top. There is an 'Up' marked on them but no left or right and since the top is angled I'm wondering how to determine which is left and right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I was hoping to get the head on tonight and everything timed.

Also, do you use some kind of adhesive to stick these on?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2009 15:16 - 24 Mar 2009 15:17 #274971 by OnkelB
Left or right shouldn't matter, just arrange them symetrically with the 'up' side facing (drumroll) up.

As for adhesive, that is only used to prevent the rubber dampers from falling into the cam chain cavity during assembly - I usually use a drop of super glue under each damper.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2009 15:17 by OnkelB.

More
24 Mar 2009 15:44 #274981 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Cam Tensioner Installation Question - Rubber Gu
Thanks Onkel.

But why are they angled? What is the benefit of having them angled? Depending on what side you put them on the angle is facing a different direction (i.e. front vs. back).

Also, did you glue them to the head or to the shaft of the roller?

I have to say I'm worried about losing them down in the innards.

More
24 Mar 2009 15:59 #274989 by keith1
HerrDeacon wrote:

Thanks Onkel.

But why are they angled? What is the benefit of having them angled? Depending on what side you put them on the angle is facing a different direction (i.e. front vs. back).

Also, did you glue them to the head or to the shaft of the roller?

I have to say I'm worried about losing them down in the innards.

glue em to the flat part on shaft after you put roller or sprocket on....i used superglue and ya got about 1 sec before its where its gonna be...try to get em where ya want them when they make contact...

More
24 Mar 2009 16:02 #274990 by keith1
also, a tip that i was given...you can shave em down a tad so they fit flush and dont stick up so much....helps prevent leaks....

More
24 Mar 2009 17:25 #275023 by RonKZ650
Are you using new Kawasaki rubber? I just looked at a new one out in the garage and mines a perfect rectangle pillow shape. No angles to it. Maybe aftermarket parts coming into the picture here. :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Mar 2009 17:29 #275027 by keith1
RonKZ650 wrote:

Are you using new Kawasaki rubber? I just looked at a new one out in the garage and mines a perfect rectangle pillow shape. No angles to it. Maybe aftermarket parts coming into the picture here. :)

good point.....all sides should be flat....herrdeacon, got a pic?

More
24 Mar 2009 17:58 #275041 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Cam Tensioner Installation Question - Rubber Gu
Sorry, no pic as I just came in from the garage, I have it all together now. Head on but not bolted down.

They were sort of shaped like wedges. The way the fit in, they caused the flat part of the shaft to not be level. I don't think it is a big deal as it won't impact the movement of the tensioner, but I did find it weird.

Thanks for your help guys.