Spare engine starter clutch check

• Grantl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
24 Mar 2009 08:59 #274844 by Grantl
Spare engine starter clutch check was created by Grantl
The starter motor clutch on my KZ750 L3 (4 cylinder) is slipping badly. As you know, the starter clutch is buried deep in the middle of the block. I have seen descriptions of how to get to the starter clutch, and it looks involved.

I have a spare engine that I could just swap out with the current one but I want to make sure the starter clutch in the replacement engine engages and kicks the engine over before I switch engines.

Is there a way to properly hook up a battery to the starter motor to get it to turn the engine without damaging the starter or frying some other electrical component? Where to hook up the high tension lead? Where to hook up a ground lead? Is there a starter lockout mechanism that I have to locate and bypass?

I know this is a dumb question, but I don't want to drop in the spare engine and find out I have the same issue.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2009 11:20 #274890 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Spare engine starter clutch check
Id imagine a heavy gauge jumper would work to turn the engine over. Put the Negative (-) or Black lead to the engine block. This will connect to the negative battery terminal.

The Positive (+) or Red lead will go directly to the starter solenoid where the heavy gauge cable goes to the starter motor. No additional wirng is needed to tun the engine over. You might want to remove the sparkplugs and squirt some engine oil in as lubrication if the spare engine has been sitting for a while.

A battery from a car will work well as it has plenty of cranking power compared to a bike battery. Just make sure the car's engine is stopped.

If the starter clutch is good it will immediately crank the engine as soon as the starter solenoid terminal is touched with the Positive jumper lead.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.