engine will run when gas is applied

• cafe750
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978kz750b
More
23 Mar 2009 12:49 #274559 by cafe750
engine will run when gas is applied was created by cafe750
Hello everyone I was here a couple of months ago with another problem, one cylinder got hotter than the other, turns out it was a tiny piece of rtv stuck in the pin hole leading to the air to fuel mixture valve.

But now that the bike is running it seems to die whenever gas is applied, I know this is a very simple problem however I have been staring at it for so long I am drawing a blank can some one help?

1978 kz750b1 twin :)

78'kz750 drag bars and bad ass front tire...more to come[img size=150][/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2009 13:28 #274571 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic engine will run when gas is applied
Are your carbs jetted right for your intake/exhaust? Are your air or pilot mixture screws adjusted correctly? Timing correct? Lots of variables in the bike running right. Best thing to do is to start with verifying valve shims/correct adjustment. From there make sure your timing is dead on. After valves and timing then it's time to start dicking with fine carb adjustment and jetting. If you try to get the carbs dialed in without doing the other steps first you're bound to be beating your head into the wall trying to get it right...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
23 Mar 2009 13:33 #274575 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic engine will run when gas is applied
if you have already taken pieces of silicone out of the float bowls I would hazard a guess that you got a piece in the pilot jet ....that stuff should be outlawed...espesialy when people use it around fuel.

• cafe750
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978kz750b
More
23 Mar 2009 13:47 #274581 by cafe750
Replied by cafe750 on topic engine will run when gas is applied
thanks for the help. first the bike used to run beautiful before the silicone got stuck. so timming and valve clearance is all good. it has to do with some fine tunning on the carbs, like the air to fuel mixture screws. the jetting air box and whole bike is stock. are there any rule of thumbs when it comes to the air to fuel mixture.

78'kz750 drag bars and bad ass front tire...more to come[img size=150][/img]