break-in oil?

• HenryKrinkle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Mar 2009 18:33 #274366 by HenryKrinkle
break-in oil? was created by HenryKrinkle
Just got my engine back together...Am wondering if I should use any special oil to properly break it in. I've heard that zinc is important for the cams at first. Also, the cams timing marks were parallel with the top of the head, but a few millimeters above. When I positioned them a tooth above or below, the mark pointed up or down and did not appear right. I turned it over a bunch and it seemed ok, but I'm no expert. Will it blow up if the timing's off somehow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
22 Mar 2009 18:42 #274370 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic break-in oil?
I think you can use your regular oil to break in the bike, just be sure to change it often according to the manuals break-in intervals.

If youve turned it over many times by hand without any problems, than I doubt you need to worry about it blowing up on start. It will likely just not run right, if at all.

Anyone else...?

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
22 Mar 2009 18:47 #274371 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic break-in oil?
Whatever oil you chose be sure to put oil on the cam lobes, bearing surfaces, followers, etc. if you didn't already and turn the engine over a couple times by hand before firing it up. If you had the cams out and cleaned and dried everything, you don't want that stuff spinning dry when you start the bike. Here's a previous discussion on oil, zinc, etc. that might be helpful:

OIL

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Mar 2009 15:09 #274964 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic break-in oil?
In the very old days we painted all the bearing surfaces and cam lobes etc with STP oil treatment because it has high zinc and sticks in place well. This time, I used a 50-50 blend of STP and Castrol to make sure everything was slippery when I started it up. I rubbed some on the cylinder walls and also the cams and filled the top end cam wells before buttoning it up.

I agree with pumping oil up before starting: take the plugs out and use the kick starter to crank the engine. Crank it over until your arm gives out (at least a couple of minutes) and you will have full oil inside all the enging passages.

1979 KZ-750 Twin