Clutch question

More
19 Mar 2009 19:03 #273568 by Caminojr85
Clutch question was created by Caminojr85
Ok i want to ask a question about a Non-kaw bike, will i get flogged with muffles and banished? but in my defence i do own a Kaw aswell! and you guys are pretty sharp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2009 19:09 #273570 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Clutch question
C, I'm listening

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
19 Mar 2009 19:22 #273574 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Clutch question
Don't ask...........the locals will skin you alive.:laugh: :laugh: Ask away.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
19 Mar 2009 19:27 #273575 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Clutch question
Caminojr85 wrote:

Ok i want to ask a question about a Non-kaw bike, will i get flogged with muffles and banished? but in my defence i do own a Kaw aswell! and you guys are pretty sharp

Okay, I guess your question is about flogging. Yes we do and only once in a while. I don't know how sharp we are but ask anyways???

More
19 Mar 2009 19:43 #273584 by Caminojr85
Replied by Caminojr85 on topic Clutch question
ok so i have a honda cb750f its a long story, about 2 weeks ago i layed it down at low speed, broke the clutch handle no other dmg, i replaced the clutch lever with a kaw unti, (worked ok) but on the way home that night, it started to drop a cylander and ran very poorly, so i assumed (gunk in the carbs got stirred up when it got layed down need to clean them) so i cleaned them 100%, dunked scrubbed and sprayed them to death, also installed a new Dynojet kit in the process, put them back on, engine ran ok, really rich, but i wanted to take it on a test ride to double check the bad cylander was fixed, nope was still running on 3, so i re-build the carbs again assuming i had an airway blocked, re-installed, still no dice, checked spark with the good'ole screwdriver to the head/plug boot, great arch, so i checked the plug, and that was it, guess it got jarred/broken in the laydown, replaced it and was running on 4 now, tried to take it for a test run once again, now its sputtering/dying no power missing, just going crazy, so i figure, ill change the clutch so i know its locking well so i can really narrow my problem, changed it, rejetted the carbs and adjusted needle hight, now its running a bit lean, Very high idle, slow throttle response and very slow to come down after revs, but i figure ridable enough to check the new Dynoman clutch, tried to put it in gear, and slam, no clutch/stalled out so now i have a bike running lean, clutch not functioning at all and its driving me nuts!! any thoughts on the clutch? the carbs i think i can get dialed in but hard to do with no test rides, any help would be great, thanks, Tim

More
19 Mar 2009 19:53 #273588 by arai59
Is the clutch cable bound up ? Pinched ?

More
19 Mar 2009 19:59 #273592 by Caminojr85
see im a bike clutch noobie, what do you mean pinched? like binding in the housing? if thats the case i dont know, im going to have to rip the clutch apart again to find out, other then that i have no clue, its a dynoman clutch, it comes with an extra plate/steel plate, i installed those as their site says to, but im wondering if i put them in the wrong area, i put them on the outside of the clutch pack, closest to the cover, might i need to move these to the inner most position?

More
19 Mar 2009 20:04 #273594 by arai59
I dont know about your particular clutch. The overall thickness shouldn't be more than stock. A pinched cable yes could be knicked, frayed or in a tight bind. This would effect the clutch operation . If you went down left side...is your shifter bent ?

More
19 Mar 2009 20:08 #273595 by Caminojr85
shifter lever got broken lol, but i replaced it, and the cable is moving freely, was well adjusted before and i tried loosening it/tighting it, still no dice i think ill just have to diassemble the clutch make sure all the bits are free moving and try it again, i really need this old bat on the road, and for all you kaw guys, ive been using an 81 H-1 750 as a doner for many bits lol (turn signals, front fender rear fender and more) going to be a Kawonda by the time im done

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
19 Mar 2009 20:10 #273598 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Clutch question
I believe the last clutch plate should fiber, then the clutch housing, then cover.

More
19 Mar 2009 20:18 #273602 by Caminojr85
yeppers, its set up that way but there is 1 special steel place, they call it that laminated plate, i read the book and its usually the 2nd steel plate in the assembly but since i put it in the 3rd slot due to the extra plates im wondering if thats it, but it shouldent make a diffrence, i dunno just need to disassemble it and redo it, might just fix a problem w/o knowing it if not ill just light it on fire and roll it down a hill <.<

More
19 Mar 2009 20:49 #273611 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Clutch question
C, couple thoughts, era cb750 (sohc &dohc) clutches were 7 fibre, 6 steel starting & ending w/ fibre. some used narrow/ judder plates at inside retained by piano wire, others a unique steel plate in the middle of pack. all need be replaced when going aftermarket. order will be same regardless, starting & ending w/ fibre. Honda's require matching cl.center to basket hub, marks are usually at 1 spring tower and at outside of cl.presure plate. you have at least 2 different probs, maybe 3. cl/fuel/elect. cl, I've offerd starter, carb, quick check for vac leaks, elect, start in a dark place & look for fireworks around plug caps. hope this helps,G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1