timing advancer bolt in crank

• unkle fester
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2009 13:46 #273444 by unkle fester
timing advancer bolt in crank was created by unkle fester
like a freekin idiot I broke the bolt holding the timing advancer in the end of the crank...also the little dowel pin.........I grabbed an impact and 13mm socket to take the bolt out instead of holding with a 17mm and loosening the bolt.............WELL.........I had it on righty tighty instead of lefty loosey.......YES, I AM A MORON....now howinthehell am I gonna get it out??? it broke off bout 1/4 inch inside the end of the crank....thanks.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2009 14:22 #273456 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
The only method I know of involves a center punch, an uber-hard drill bit, some careful drilling and a commercial grade easy out. Oh yeah, and a lot of luck. :(

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Mar 2009 14:40 #273460 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
TexasKZ wrote:

The only method I know of involves a center punch, an uber-hard drill bit, some careful drilling and a commercial grade easy out. Oh yeah, and a lot of luck. :(

ditto...center punch also will knock a smidge of loose in the thread...then drill it tiny in the center exact....then drill a little bigger,the size of a hard easy out and use a 18v dewalt or ryobi carpenters battery drill and set the easy out,then stop and put some over night penetrating oil with the motor leaned so it will pool in the hole...next day with the cordless in reverse and you may have success...or not...my 2 cents....good luck...bummer....bet you dont do that again in the next ten years...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
19 Mar 2009 15:22 #273505 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Chances are the bolt is loose and should screw right off if you can get a bite on it. I think a drill and even a cheap easyout it ought to come off easily, or a reverse drill bit should back it right out. If it's rusted in there, that's another story, but I'd doubt that it is. Whatever you do, don't get excited and break an easyout off in the bolt or you're screwed majorly.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Mar 2009 17:06 - 19 Mar 2009 20:16 #273540 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Try putting a little heat on it. I use a propane torch and that usually does the trick. Not to hot though, Easy goes it. Although with heat you will probably destroy the seal on the ignition house. But they are cheap. As mentioned.........go easy. Or you better have a good machinist friend.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2009 20:16 by arai59.

More
19 Mar 2009 19:07 - 19 Mar 2009 19:12 #273569 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Don't feel too bad. Believe me we've all screwed up..
The bolt should not be a big deal, just take the advise of the replies above.
The dowel might be a different issue. You almost have to completely drill out the entire dowel. The dowel is hardened and it's very difficult to drill.
You've got to be careful that you don't mess up the dowel hole when you're trying to drill out the dowel.
One option is....if the dowel is flush with the end of the crank or even sticking out a tad you could take the bike to a welder and (if the welder knows what he's doing) he can tack weld (TIG)a small rod to the dowel and you might then be able to heat up the crank a little bit and pull the broken dowel out.

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about it's because......I done the same thing as you. In the last 20 years....twice...

Good luck.

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2009 19:12 by KruZer.

More
19 Mar 2009 20:10 #273599 by gane
Replied by gane on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Fester, some thoughts/cheer. All posts good, I'll add. the locating dowel pin (if origional) was hardened. and a simple slip-in when new. a little penetrating oil and a few prods with an automatic center punch usually allow worring out w/ magnet. and in worst case scenatio, a fresh locating hole can be drilled 180 degrees out. by rotating breaker cam 180 in advance unit your' back to fresh. the retaining bolt, may or may not be semi-free at this point, left hand drill bits and EXACT centering are the 1st opt. often starting with a drill bit which just interferes with the entrance threads will provide a accurate center at broken bit. start small, and insure center, if not removed by the time hole is @ 1/2 dia if bolt, try heat and ez-out, (gently) (ez-outs swell the bit to even tighter fit) if this still doesn't work, continue drilling w/progresivly larger bits til remainder of bolt can be jimmied out w/ scribe. I can not over emphasize the importance of centering the 1st drill shot. now the cheer, Like others, I've been there, I can't recall exactly but at least 7-8 times and have yet to havr to pull/replace crank. go slow, be carefull. If hot headed like me, walk away & think. Luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
20 Mar 2009 05:46 #273661 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Don't feel bad, as you can see I sheared off my locating pin. Doesn't matter how but I felt like a real ass. Had to drill it out with a cobalt drill. Hard stuff!!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2009 10:34 #273693 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Last ( and I do mean the LAST time) I did that I ended up taking the entire motor out of the frame and taking it to a specialized machine shop that used an EDM machine to burn the broken piece out of the crank. Not cheap, about $230.00 but helluva lot easier than taking the entire motor down to get at the crank.And we raced that weekend...

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
20 Mar 2009 19:19 #273790 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Gane ++1.

I bought a set of those Craftsman reverse bits just for situations like this, the theory being that now that I have the equipment, I'll never need it.:cheer:
Good luck with your repair.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• unkle fester
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2009 13:52 #274587 by unkle fester
Replied by unkle fester on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
I'm gonna try the reverse drill bits.....once I get better....I have felt like crap the last few days and just thought I had the bohemian death flu......but noooooo...the doc says I have bronchitis, ear infection in both ears, and walking pneumonia...........wonderful....

More
23 Mar 2009 13:56 #274592 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic timing advancer bolt in crank
Please get better before attempting any repair involving a clear head. Almost any medication will affect sound decision making especially in something this delicate.

Don't touch the bike until you're better!

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)