Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e

More
16 Mar 2009 08:52 #272362 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e
Found 6 original stock KZ750 airboxes on Ebay. Prices ranged from $6.00-40.00 if you are interested. You can go to Kawasaki.com and look up the parts for your bike and see if the part numbers are the same for the bikes listed in the auctions and your bike.

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2009 09:04 #272366 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e
GPz550D1 wrote:

Found 6 original stock KZ750 airboxes on Ebay. Prices ranged from $6.00-40.00 if you are interested. You can go to Kawasaki.com and look up the parts for your bike and see if the part numbers are the same for the bikes listed in the auctions and your bike.

Robert

Awesome, thanks. I will check it out. Much appriciated.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
16 Mar 2009 09:09 #272367 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e
meNmyKZ wrote:

l0g1cand 650ed. I 100% agree, I have no clue the real performance of this bike. Mine obviously isn't running upto par. I had assumed these are just slow crusing type bikes. Now I really can't wait to get this thing purring. Thx again for responding to my post.

Think more super sport style bike. Mine is really quick (and I'm 250-ish lbs)....but then again I am comparing it to my old 80 kz250 d1! LOL! I'd say that if you're not grinning from ear to ear after running at WOT, then you need to do some work on it!

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
16 Mar 2009 09:46 #272379 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e
About the timing, I would think by 1982 this engine came stock with electronic ignition and there is not much to be done as far as adjusting it. Pop off the right side engine cover and see if you have points or two black electronic pickups.

If you have electronic then there is no need to take it to a shop, they can't do anything to set it.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
16 Mar 2009 09:47 #272381 by meNmyKZ
clutch wrote:

meNmyKZ wrote:

l0g1cand 650ed. I 100% agree, I have no clue the real performance of this bike. Mine obviously isn't running upto par. I had assumed these are just slow crusing type bikes. Now I really can't wait to get this thing purring. Thx again for responding to my post.

Think more super sport style bike. Mine is really quick (and I'm 250-ish lbs)....but then again I am comparing it to my old 80 kz250 d1! LOL! I'd say that if you're not grinning from ear to ear after running at WOT, then you need to do some work on it!

~Clutch

Well I definetly can't wait to get the kinks worked out. I keep saying I really am not looking for a fast bike, but who the h**l am I kidding, I would love to crank it open on the back roads. I think the only one I am fooling is myself...

Also, if you want a copy of the PDF manual I got off ebay, I would be happy to burn it for ya if you would like. Or you can just pay the $8.99. I will send it for free tho. I haven't gotten it yet, but it got good review. So i guess I can't really say if its worth it yet. Can't go wrong with free tho.......

More
16 Mar 2009 09:50 - 16 Mar 2009 09:51 #272382 by meNmyKZ
OKC_Kent wrote:

About the timing, I would think by 1982 this engine came stock with electronic ignition and there is not much to be done as far as adjusting it. Pop off the right side engine cover and see if you have points or two black electronic pickups.

If you have electronic then there is no need to take it to a shop, they can't do anything to set it.

Thanks for the post. I am not really sure what to look for, but I do know that it has 2 coils that the 4 spark plug wires come off of. I think it needs the valves adjusted pretty bad. Not sure about timing. Christ, I am not sure about anything. I have no clue. Would it also not need valves adjusted if it has electronic ignition? Thanks again for posting.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2009 09:51 by meNmyKZ.

More
16 Mar 2009 10:02 - 16 Mar 2009 10:03 #272386 by meNmyKZ
meNmyKZ wrote:

clutch wrote:

meNmyKZ wrote:

~Clutch

Well I definetly can't wait to get the kinks worked out. I keep saying I really am not looking for a fast bike, but who the h**l am I kidding, I would love to crank it open on the back roads. I think the only one I am fooling is myself...

Also, if you want a copy of the PDF manual I got off ebay, I would be happy to burn it for ya if you would like. Or you can just pay the $8.99. I will send it for free tho. I haven't gotten it yet, but it got good review. So i guess I can't really say if its worth it yet. Can't go wrong with free tho.......

This offer goes to anybody that helps me or give me a idea. I really can't help you guys out cuz I don't know anything about this subject. So if anyone would like a free copy of the PDF shop manual for the KZ750, feel free to ask. Its the least I can do. I appriciate everyones responces and help.... THANKS AGAIN!!!
Last edit: 16 Mar 2009 10:03 by meNmyKZ.

More
16 Mar 2009 10:07 - 16 Mar 2009 10:14 #272389 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e
meNmyKZ wrote:

OKC_Kent wrote:

Thanks for the post. I am not really sure what to look for, but I do know that it has 2 coils that the 4 spark plug wires come off of. I think it needs the valves adjusted pretty bad. Not sure about timing. Christ, I am not sure about anything. I have no clue. Would it also not need valves adjusted if it has electronic ignition? Thanks again for posting.

You need to start reading that .pdf manual and start getting familiar with your ride. The valves may need adjusting, but whether the bike has electronic ignition or not does not play a factor in if the valves need adjustment. All KZ valves need adjustment at some point. Your manual will tell you how to check them, (and buy a cam cover gasket before you remove the cover.)

Have fun and good luck.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 16 Mar 2009 10:14 by OKC_Kent.

More
16 Mar 2009 10:16 #272391 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e
Yes, I meant putting an original airbox and filter back on the bike. Regarding adjusting the valves, I wouldn't automatically assume they need to be adjusted. You can check them, but you should really have a Kawasaki factory service manual to explain how this is done. If you don't have one, they're usually available on eBay. Be sure to get one for your exact model bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Mar 2009 10:17 #272392 by meNmyKZ
OKC_Kent wrote:

meNmyKZ wrote:

OKC_Kent wrote:

You need to start reading that .pdf manual, and if you haven't really rode a bike before take a safety course. We don't want to see you get creamed. You do have a Kawasaki 750 and it's not a beginner bike, even 27 years old it will get you in some trouble if you aren't familiar with the power it has. Probably about 75 horses or more, right?

I agree, I do need to start reading that manual...thing is, it hasn't came in the mail yet lol. As for having to much power, I don't think that is the problem. My last bike was a moderately modified CBR, and it was screaming fast. I do see the concern, but I used to ride that CBR balls to the wall. I am older now and driving 150mph everywhere is no longer a desire. I just wanna cruise a bit and maybe open it up every now and then on a back road. thx for the post

More
16 Mar 2009 10:19 #272394 by meNmyKZ
650ed wrote:

Yes, I meant putting an original airbox and filter back on the bike. Regarding adjusting the valves, I wouldn't automatically assume they need to be adjusted. You can check them, but you should really have a Kawasaki factory service manual to explain how this is done. If you don't have one, they're usually available on eBay. Be sure to get one for your exact model bike. Ed

Thanks for the post. I will be looking into getting a new airbox. The reason I think the values may need to be adjusted is becuase I don't think they ever have. 11000 miles and 28 some years, thought they might. I have absolutly no clue tho. Thx again.

More
16 Mar 2009 13:28 #272420 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Three problems, possibly related 82 KZ750e
It's hard to say whether or not the valves will be in spec. I have 47,000 miles on my bike and I check the valves every 5,000 miles. I have only swapped 1 shim (input) in all that time, and that was to adjust the gap from the tight limit to the middle of the service range at 5,000 miles (it probably came from the factory that way). Other than that, they have changed VERY little. Others have had different experiences so I guess it depends upon riding style, fuel used, and a bunch of unknown variables. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)