Timing Advance Question

More
12 Mar 2009 23:26 #271530 by Jonnybutt
Timing Advance Question was created by Jonnybutt
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Long story short I got my first bike last year which is a Kawasaki KZ440 LTD belt driven. Great shape for what I got it for. The only issue I had was that when the throttle was advanced the bike would not advance in RPMs. Of course my first guess which was right, was check the timing. After flipping through the manual I found the location of the what i think is called a manual timing advance. I pulled it off and realized it was seized. After a look on ebay and 2 failed attempts I had no such luck. So with a little welding skill I took the parts I had and made my own working one. The throttle is still a little rough and delayed. I've looked all over for this part and I cant seem to find it. Maybe I'm searching incorrectly. Can any of you help me out?:blink:

Thanks,
Jonny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2009 05:32 #271551 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Timing Advance Question
welcome to the site,
I am not sure why you were not able to take the advance mechanism apart lube it up and make it work again, unless someone has screwed it up beyond repair.
since you are kind of new to the bike, have you done a complete tune up on it? to include checking voltage to the coils.
Also, you can check the advance with a timing light, the manuel should give you the timing at idle and advanced rpm.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
13 Mar 2009 08:45 #271580 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Timing Advance Question
Also you may want to clean the carbs also.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
13 Mar 2009 09:26 #271592 by Jonnybutt
Replied by Jonnybutt on topic Timing Advance Question
I apologize I should of been more specific. I did a full tune up last year and I am this year. I cleaned the carb and all that jazz. I did check it with the timing light and the mechanism was not advancing. I let it sit in PB blaster for 3 days and i got nothing out of it. The one I built out of parts works fine I'd just prefer one from the manufacturer.