Need a source for KZ750 Twin Valve Shims

More
28 Feb 2006 12:48 #27137 by stenchforth
Need a source for KZ750 Twin Valve Shims was created by stenchforth
I'm adjusting the valve clearances on my '79 KZ750 twin, and need a source for valve shims. Z1enterprises doesn't have the sizes I need. Anyone have a source for reasonably priced shims? I don't have a local dealer and will need to order.

In that same vein: Anybody ever use a surface grinder to thin the shims? I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences - good or bad. I know they are case hardened, but I only need to remove .003", and I've heard that the hardened layer runs .020 thick.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2006 13:01 #27138 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Need a source for KZ750 Twin Valve Shims
:blink: grinding shims?:blink: :S :dry: :( :pinch: :sick: :huh:

More
28 Feb 2006 14:52 #27158 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Need a source for KZ750 Twin Valve Shims
We have a handful of other 32mm shim sizes in stock - just not enough to warrant putting on the web site.

Contact me directly.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
01 Mar 2006 05:49 #27262 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Need a source for KZ750 Twin Valve Shims
You heard they are hardened .020? From who? Geesh... the reason Kaw uses hardened shims is so they won't fracture. I doubt anyone did hardness tests on Kaw shims and would be an a position to know specifically how deep the hardness goes. When I find a shim that has been ground on a customer's bike, I toss it. Why risk a shim fracturing for a couple bucks and losing the valve train and trashing a motor? Get new shims... z1enterprises.com has them. Jeff is not going to be able to put EVERY part he can sell on his web site. Contact him directly for the shims you need.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!