O-rings

More
28 Feb 2009 14:05 #268701 by sharkynrk
O-rings was created by sharkynrk
long and short of it to save you guys time

zn700 project - i bought a gasket kit to replace various gaskets but no one has a o-ring kit. thats fine. go to babbits or the like and they want 4.50 for a single f'in o-ring and that is a bit fat rip off.

is there a listing of what the o-ring sizes are as babbits parts pages do no list o-ring specs (some don't even have sizes)

an example

92055B SKU: 92055-1146
RING-O

i need two of these and there is no indication of what size, id, od, and width needed -

please help me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2009 14:10 #268703 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic O-rings
Look up the part number at Kawasaki.com and see if you can just order the o-rings.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
28 Feb 2009 14:15 - 28 Feb 2009 14:16 #268704 by kano
Replied by kano on topic O-rings
i bought a set on e-bay for 10 bucks.
don't know if this helps.
Product Information:
Puts a wide selection of metric O-rings within easy reach.

* Has O-rings of 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3.5mm thickness
* Inside diameters from 3-50mm
* Resealable plastic case

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Feb 2009 14:16 by kano.

More
28 Feb 2009 14:19 #268705 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic O-rings
Harbor Freight sells a similar set. I do not know if they are Nitrile or Buna N "O" rings. Kind of take your chance with Chinese made products.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Feb 2009 14:20 #268706 by sharkynrk
Replied by sharkynrk on topic O-rings
what are the OEM parts made of?

More
28 Feb 2009 14:25 #268709 by mumbles
Replied by mumbles on topic O-rings
I have a set like the one pictured from Harbor Freight.
So far there hasn't been any problems with oil leaking out of the oil-fill cap. It wasn't the perfect size but its been doing the job for about 4 months.

2001 KZ1000 Police
1998 Vulcan 800

Houston, Tx

More
28 Feb 2009 14:25 #268710 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic O-rings
OK, I looked them up at Kawasaki.com. They're still active, so why not just go to the dealer and buy them? Ron Ayers price is $3.80 each; the bike uses 2. That's $7.60. The local dealer will no doubt charge a little more, but it's still going to be less than $10 and you won't be guessing whether or not they're the right size after you reassemble the engine.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Feb 2009 14:32 #268714 by sharkynrk
well a couple of reasons - one not a real close dealer - I just looked them up a few seconds before getting the reply.

but more of an issue is cost. Its a budget build, I bought the bike for $100 and want to keep total cost of the project under $500. that means doing alot of things myself and looking for deals. $5 for a $0.50 parts is just not a deal. I can get a whole set for $10 or so and if it has the size I need it makes more sense.

It's not that I want to use inferior parts or anything, but my background and experience (BSME and career as an Industrial Engineer) has shown me that the only difference betweens buying an oring from an industrial supply shop and a dealership is how bad you get raped on cost.

the bike just didn't have these and leaked so I can't even measure the old parts with a caliper

More
28 Feb 2009 14:38 #268716 by sharkynrk
also does anyone see a problem with Buna-N on these rings? i think that Viton would be overkill as the only thing most rings will see is oil contact

More
01 Mar 2009 14:59 #269007 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic O-rings
650ed wrote:

Look up the part number at Kawasaki.com and see if you can just order the o-rings.

The Kawi dealer here sells some O rings.... for $12 each. Seriously. The parts guy told me not to buy them at the dealer, but try a plumbing supply house becausen they stock every O ring on earth. I ended up getting them for free because I went to a supply place and the guy said it was too small of an order so he would 'sample" them to me which means no charge. I probably saved $200 compared to the dealer price.:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Mar 2009 15:01 #269008 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic O-rings
sharkynrk wrote:

also does anyone see a problem with Buna-N on these rings? i think that Viton would be overkill as the only thing most rings will see is oil contact

O rings don't die from oil contact, it is the repeated cold-hot-cold cycling that turnes them to rock. Viton is the way to go if they are available.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Mar 2009 15:26 #269019 by sharkynrk
viton has good environmental resistance characteristics vs nitrile, and while nitrile does well against cold, viton does well against heat. i did not mean the oil would kill the ring but rather if there was anything besides oil and fuel (which nitrile and viton are excellent with) chemical wise that would be a hazard (viton is better with chemical resistance). viton is always available but at a much higher cost percentage. I know viton is superior for the application than nitrile but not if its superior enough for the money