KZ440 Transmission Problem

More
23 Feb 2009 18:05 #267591 by turbotom
KZ440 Transmission Problem was created by turbotom
Hello, found a transmission problem to go along with my carburetor problem in my 1980 KZ440. As I was trying to start it today, I accidentally clicked the bike down into 1st. I grabbed the clutch all the way in and tried to start the motor and the bike rolled forward. Also, with the clutch fully engaged in first gear I cannot roll the bike. Is this an easy fix? Thank you,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2009 20:19 #267642 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ440 Transmission Problem
turbotom wrote:

Hello, found a transmission problem to go along with my carburetor problem in my 1980 KZ440. As I was trying to start it today, I accidentally clicked the bike down into 1st. I grabbed the clutch all the way in and tried to start the motor and the bike rolled forward. Also, with the clutch fully engaged in first gear I cannot roll the bike. Is this an easy fix? Thank you,
Tom

Sounds normal for a cold engine, as the clutch tends to drag even with the lever squeezed all the way in against the handlebar. Starting up a cold engine in neutral, squeezing the clutch lever, and shifting into first gear, often results in a loud noisy clunk and/or slight lurch forward as the dragging clutch plates release themselves. After that initial breaking loose of the clutch plates, things usually return to smooth operation.

A "fully engaged" clutch means the plates are being held tightly together by the springs (handlebar lever not squeezed). "Disengaged" means the plates are separated with the spring pressure being overcome by squeezing the handlebar lever.

Usually, a bike in first gear with the clutch engaged will not allow the rear wheel to roll against the engine compression. Whereas a bike in first gear with the clutch disengaged (handlebar lever squeezed in) will allow the rear wheel to roll because the engine isn't being turned over (except when the engine is cold with the clutch dragging even while the handlebar lever is being squeezed).

The transmission is designed to remain in neutral when the engine is not running (and not allow being shifted out of neutral into any gear) unless the rear wheel is rotating forward. For example, when bike is on the centerstand in neutral with engine not running, a shift down to 1st or up to 2nd should be impossible unless the rear wheel is being simultaneously rotated (spun) forward.

Am guessing you were rolling forward on the non-running bike when accidentally shifted into low gear. Then the cold clutch drag prevented rolling the bike same as if the handlebar lever was not being squeezed. For this same reason (cold clutch drag), when in gear with the handlebar lever squeezed, the starter motor propels the bike forward (same as if attempting to start up the engine while in gear without squeezing the handlebar lever -- later models have safety features designed to allow starting engine only when in neutral).

Should be able to return from 1st gear to neutral without too much effort, even while completely stopped.

At least that's how things work with the large fours.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Feb 2009 20:30 #267649 by turbotom
Replied by turbotom on topic KZ440 Transmission Problem
Patton wrote:

turbotom wrote:

Tom

Sounds normal for a cold engine, as the clutch tends to drag even with the lever squeezed all the way in against the handlebar. Starting up a cold engine in neutral, squeezing the clutch lever, and shifting into first gear, often results in a loud noisy clunk and/or slight lurch forward as the dragging clutch plates release themselves. After that initial breaking loose of the clutch plates, things usually return to smooth operation.

A "fully engaged" clutch means the plates are being held tightly together by the springs (handlebar lever not squeezed). "Disengaged" means the plates are separated with the spring pressure being overcome by squeezing the handlebar lever.

Usually, a bike in first gear with the clutch engaged will not allow the rear wheel to roll against the engine compression. Whereas a bike in first gear with the clutch disengaged (handlebar lever squeezed in) will allow the rear wheel to roll because the engine isn't being turned over (except when the engine is cold with the clutch dragging even while the handlebar lever is being squeezed).

The transmission is designed to remain in neutral when the engine is not running (and not allow being shifted out of neutral into any gear) unless the rear wheel is rotating forward. For example, when bike is on the centerstand in neutral with engine not running, a shift down to 1st or up to 2nd should be impossible unless the rear wheel is being simultaneously rotated (spun) forward.

Am guessing you were rolling forward on the non-running bike when accidentally shifted into low gear. Then the cold clutch drag prevented rolling the bike same as if the handlebar lever was not being squeezed. For this same reason (cold clutch drag), when in gear with the handlebar lever squeezed, the starter motor propels the bike forward (same as if attempting to start up the engine while in gear without squeezing the handlebar lever -- later models have safety features designed to allow starting engine only when in neutral).

Should be able to return from 1st gear to neutral without too much effort, even while completely stopped.

At least that's how things work with the large fours.

Good Luck! :)

Excellent answer, I appreciate it. Hopefully the issue is just as you say and there is no problem once the bike is running. Thanks again!