cam timing question

More
19 Feb 2009 17:09 #266256 by asevans
cam timing question was created by asevans
ok, ive got my bike on the bottom of the page and im ready to ask my first question. im putting my cams back in. i have got a clymers manual and have got the timing marks figured out and the cams in and chain right. cam cap bolts just snug. ok the question is. on my bike you have two top dead center marks that look exactly the same under the ignition cover. now i was reading about four strokes and the one and four cylinders come up to TDC two times in one revolution to produce power. how do you know which one it needs to be on when you put in your cams. thanx in advance

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2009 17:36 #266263 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic cam timing question
You are not degreeing the cams are you?

More
19 Feb 2009 17:43 #266265 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic cam timing question
no im not that advanced, im just trying to put them back in and get the timing right.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
19 Feb 2009 17:59 #266268 by gane
Replied by gane on topic cam timing question
Asevans, The two TDC marks you see under Ign. cover are stamped into the advance/breaker cam unit. and are marked 1-4, and 2-3. you want 1-4. (easily verified by looking thru #4 plug hole. This mark indicates crank position TDC, and also indicates ignition timing (via strobe) All neccesary cam markings are in reference to #1 TDC. Hope this helps, If not Yell, and perhaps Plummen or others can post pic's ands a better explanation. PS, pistons rise/fall once per crank revolution, 1-4 and 2-3 being on same planes, when #1 is on compresion stroke #4 is on Exhaust. both recieve spark simotaniously, #1 provides ignition, #4 is wasted. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
19 Feb 2009 18:24 #266277 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic cam timing question
ahha, i see now. that is what i needed to hear to understand. perfect explanation. thanx

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project