Cam Timing

More
14 Feb 2009 14:47 #265052 by franknsr
Cam Timing was created by franknsr
While reinstalling my cams I am attempting to line everything up per the Clymer manual and the pictures look different enough to cause me concern.

The book says to line up the “T” on the crank with an index mark, my bike has a line between a “T” and an “F” so I guess that’s it.

The cams are supposed to have a line pointing to a tooth on the gear, but it points to the valley between the teeth. I’m supposed to count 45 pins on the chain to a line on the intake gear between pin 45 and 46 on the chain, but again it points to a spot between two teeth.

If I line it up by the book I’ll have to park the second line either on the 45th pin in the chain, or on the 46th, not between them as the book says. Anyone have an idea what I should be shooting for here?

BTW - I’ve got an 82 650 and this book covers 77 to 83 650’s, but 80 + is handled in a supplement in the back of the book.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2009 09:49 #265158 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic Cam Timing
OK, I think I figured this out. I reassemble everything according to the book and as a final check I compared it to some grainy before pictures and it didn't look right.

I went back and readjusted everything and instead of counting the pins I counted the spaces between the pins and it seems to work out the way it should.

I was probably making this all more complicated than it had to be. Hopefully my next post won't be to find a good used head.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.