82 GPz 750 - engine "must do's"?

More
25 Feb 2006 16:32 #26434 by bean
Well - I've been able to see that I shouldn't have any trouble getting the *known* missing parts for my bike restification - so now I'm thinking about what I should do to the motor while it's out.

I'm not going to spend huge money on getting any performance parts - but I'd like to make sure that I do any needed maintenance to the engine while it's out.

Can you guys give me any suggestions on getting the motor freshened up? (Even a good engine paint that works well?)

From reading through the site - I'm thinking cam chain, tensioner, valve adjust, and maybe the head gasket (with the newer graphite one from the ZR-7?)

Does that sound about right? Too much? Anything to check before proceeding?

Thanks again for the input!

Rabin

Post edited by: bean, at: 2006/02/25 19:33

1989 ZX-10 (Reassembly after 7 years)
1979 KZ1000ST (sold)
1982 GPz750 (sold)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2006 23:25 #26477 by steell
The first thing to do is a compression check :)

How many miles on it?

KD9JUR

More
26 Feb 2006 02:12 #26483 by gpzrox
I agree completely. That and a leak down test will tell you major amounts on where to start. I'm not very happy about finding out a cylinder is 40psi low just before the riding season, and I should have tested it earlier... but I will ride it until she blows or winter comes back.

Then I would sort out the carbs.

I may even hold off on the cam chain and tensioner. And the head gasket. Your motor is the same as mine, frame around it should be very, very close: Looks very much like I can do most most engine work in the frame. And there is that "don't fix it if it isn't broken" philosophy.

My cam chain, tensioner, and head gasket is fine, 33K miles.

Ooops, reread the post. My Gpz engine is taking well to some 1200 (yeah right) degree paint with ceramic that I picked up at Advance or Autozone or somewhere. Lasted last season, looks good for this season. But when I need to do it again, JCWhitney sells a brush on paint that I hear rocks as a base coat.

As a matter of fact, I need check that stuff out on my pipes: the paint that worked out fine on the engine is not so good on the first 6-8 inches of the exhaust pipes. It's still there, and not rusting, but it is going fast.

Good luck,

Louie

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
26 Feb 2006 05:44 #26504 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic 82 GPz 750 - engine \"must do's\"?
I like the PJ-1 engine paint in "Lo-Gloss" black.

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
26 Feb 2006 09:35 #26531 by bean
Engine is out of the bike, and has been so for the last 5-7 years. Not sure of miles on the motor, but I'd guess 40 - 50K. It ran strong when it was taken apart for the restoration, but my brother ran out of motivation, then had to move so he just let the whole lot go to me.

Since the engine has been idle so long - I could do a wet compression test to make sure all is still OK - but I'd like to do any maintenance to the motor before painting the motor, and putting it into a freshly painted frame.

I've read about a lot of mods that I can do - but I need to keep it simple so that I actually have a bike to ride this spring! I want to take care of ANY maintenance issues that might pop up in the future - so I'd rather replace something now then have it act up in a couple years.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to fixing stuff - I'd rather do it once and NEVER have it act up again then put it off and have to take the works apart next winter. (Plus pulling the motor apart to see what's what lets me see if the engine is still in good shape.)

I still need to buy carbs, exhaust, and an air box - that what I know it's missing. Since the bike was free - I can justify eventually spending some cash to getting it going. If it's done well - I should be able to get my money out of it no problem. (Carbs on e-bay - hope they don't go for too much $$$)

Thanks for the paint tips - I'll likely go with the PJ-1 unless I hear otherwise - but that basecoat sounds like it might be worth checking out - or should PJ-1 be used as is? (Nothing looks worse than a pe-painted motor that's peeling!)

Rabin

1989 ZX-10 (Reassembly after 7 years)
1979 KZ1000ST (sold)
1982 GPz750 (sold)