MKII Starter clutch and starter removal

More
13 Feb 2009 10:14 #264681 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic MKII Starter clutch and starter removal
Worse story... The factory service manual tells you to use a ball bearing. Stick it in (rather than the bolt) and hit the thing with an impact driver. I have a "Thunder Gun" impact driver with about 700 ft/lbs of torque and it was on full blast. I didn't think about the SIZE of the ball bearing and drove the ball bearing in which got caught on the inside thread. I called my machinist buddy and he about laughed himself silly. I was able to cut the ball bearing out using a carbide tipped dremel tool... the kind used to cut out old grout between tiles. It took several hours and it must have taken a full hour to get a little dimple started on the ball bearing. What makes this especially fun is the ball bearing is round and the bit keeps slipping off towards those threads. I did manage to not touch the thread which would have been REALLY annoying as the thread is in the end of the crank and if damaged, I suspect a new crank would have been in order.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
13 Feb 2009 10:37 #264691 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic MKII Starter clutch and starter removal
OH MAN THAT SUCKS! i realy have been lucky then. i need to take mine off again soon. i want to put harder bolts in the starter due to more cc's. while i have the crank out. I hope mine works out better than your.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.