Primary Chain Woes

More
06 Feb 2009 19:12 #262645 by wrangler615
Primary Chain Woes was created by wrangler615
I know this may have been covered some by previous posts, but bear with me. I am in the middle of the buildup of my 750F engine. I oopsed and forgot to measure primary chain slack before complete disassembly. I know there is a spec of something like 27mm slack service limit. What I wondered is if anyone knows an actual number for primary chain service limit length. For example, if a new chain is 75mm per 10 links, then the service limit may be 80mm per 10 links. Does anyone know if a number like that exists? I have to go to my local Kawi dealer to get new rod and main bearings, I thought maybe while I was there I would ask to measure a new primary chain (I think they stock them, they fit so many models). While I am at it does anyone know if there is this same kind nuber for the cam chain? I think I may have seen something for it in factory literature, but I am not sure.

I am concerned because I ahd some nasty rattling in the trans area before teardown, and sometimes a weird sort of grinding with the starter engaged (like a chain flopping badly???). Do any of you have insight as to what I should inspect for while it is apart? I have already disassembled and checked the starter clutch for flat rollers and such, seems to work fine and hold well. You guys are great, Thanks!!

83 Kaw KZ750F1 - massive money pit
82 Zuki GS1100G - my daily driver, possible sacrilege I know

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
06 Feb 2009 19:20 #262647 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Primary Chain Woes
grinding while starter is engaged is defiantly the starter clutch. Search for starter clutch in these forums and you will find everything from questions like yours to tutorials showing you the steps of repairs. It is a common thing to go in these motors and the parts are still available.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
07 Feb 2009 12:03 #262750 by wrangler615
Replied by wrangler615 on topic Primary Chain Woes
Thanks for the input. I will go over the clutch again. But I have taken it apart and verified the rollers are good as well as the springs and the gear shaft that the rollers grab. It seems to be holding very strongly, is there a method of testing it? All I did was verify that it freewheels one way and holds the other way. Anything else it might be?

83 Kaw KZ750F1 - massive money pit
82 Zuki GS1100G - my daily driver, possible sacrilege I know