Thread repair and a request from folks in Texas

• Nephlyte
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To do what is right is to know what you want.
More
23 Jan 2009 16:35 #259732 by Nephlyte
Hey, i haven't posted in a long long time. I burned the rings on my bike, then went off to law school. Somehow, this creates a 2 year delay in a bike project, go figure.

Either way, i'm back on it now. I can do the reringing and the proper torquing and everything. But on a couple of the cam caps, i've ruined the threads. Then i ruined the helicoil.

So now i'd like to just take it to a machine shop for some time serts or real helicoils or something. I do not know the magic that goes on inside those shops. Problem is, my machinist robbie here in san antonio seems to be building a house and is a little slow on his machining and i need a new place(until he's done with his house, of course).

So, anyone know of a good place in central or south texas to take aluminum bike parts to for machining? I've made the mistake of just taking them to Joe Blow's machine shop before and the head came back with two broken fin and a few extra gouges in the aluminum.

Thanks for any help. And i should be rejoining the two wheel world again by summer.

1979 KZ1000 MKII, 1075 wiseco kit installed, 10.25:1 compression, welded crank, kerker header and custom paint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2009 17:00 #259744 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Thread repair and a request from folks in Texas
there is alot of good places down there in your neck of the world i would personally look around for a shop that specializes in race motor building as there is a pretty thriving race industry built up in that town and some of those guys have alot of experiance with alluminium blocks and heads or head to the best aftermarket bike shop in town because i can bet that they have tons of experiance putting heli coils.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
24 Jan 2009 08:27 #259861 by shighley
Nephlyte; When you say you ruined the Heli-Coil, what do you mean? Do you mean you ruined the helical wire or the female threads in the head? If you just mucked up the wire and the female threads are mostly still there, you have an option. In my experience the thread form produced by a Heli-Coil tap and a TimeSert tap are identical in diameter. This means you could order a kit from TimeSert and install their superior inserts (my opinion, not fact). Hope this helps and a good close up picture of the patient would be helpful. Ride Safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!