Exhaust gaskets

More
20 Jan 2009 22:14 #259123 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Exhaust gaskets
When I pull my headers off to paint or do some work in the area, I make sure all traces of the old gaskets are removed before putting new ones in. I reinstall the gaskets with some heavy grease in the ports,as this method will make the new gasket stick well.

The split "Keepers" I hold in place with some masking tape.
Both the grease and tape will smell a little for a while but will burn off with no problem.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2009 12:28 #259422 by LukeJ
Replied by LukeJ on topic Exhaust gaskets
I had a word to an exhaust guy in town and he said I could just get some longer studs for the engine so that I wouldnt have to go looking around for shorter split-collars.

Personally, I like the idead of having shorter collars than longer studs.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
22 Jan 2009 12:52 - 22 Jan 2009 12:55 #259435 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Exhaust gaskets
LukeJ wrote:

I had a word to an exhaust guy in town and he said I could just get some longer studs for the engine so that I wouldnt have to go looking around for shorter split-collars.

Personally, I like the idead of having shorter collars than longer studs.

it does not sound like your having fun????becuase this is most important...now that we got that solved....do not change your exhuast studs yet...let's think this through...with the other folks help too....can you post a side shot of the top of one header pipe showing the flanges that go into the exuast ports????the ones that are 2/3 of an inch thick...i am lost at that point and think we are onto somthing fishy again...the studs are prob stock and fine...the header should be fine too...what was it for...get a part # off the header and go online and find it's application....the studs will either come out nice or much worse problems could arise...avoid that fix...my 2 cents...get used nice header for your model of e-bay or the guys here may be where i'm headed...look for a picture of split collers online for your bike and com[pare to what you have in your hand...ect...ect..somthing is not right maybe in your parts and needs changing...then future work will not have to do the hokey pokey to compensate...peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 22 Jan 2009 12:55 by trianglelaguna.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
22 Jan 2009 13:21 #259444 by trianglelaguna
timebomb33 wrote:

looking good i like the colors that shouldn't attract any extra attention should it

...yeah they wont even see you coming...just don't paint the motor or kickstand yellow too....hhahahahaahahahahaahahaah

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Jan 2009 16:35 #259731 by LukeJ
Here are the pics.

Two headers are better than one, as they say. The black header is the old one. It is cut off at the 4-1 joint its badly bent. The flange is merely a bump on the end. This is the header the bike came with, but I doubt its original.

The chrome header is in much better condition and is ready to go. The flange on it is approx 2/3 inch LONG (not thick, sorry).

Here is the problem. Flange and split collar = too long for the clamp to atach to the studs.

Do I cut them down or would a bike shop happen to have shorter ones? Thankyou for the advice thus far.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
23 Jan 2009 17:23 #259753 by trianglelaguna
i think you are gonna need a header...the first pic looks like it is the correct flange on the pipe itself...the second pic with the siver things on the pipe looks weird to me but i'm no gpz 750 expert guy..........i....think....you...should....get...a...header....for....a....1983 gpz750....it will fit for sure...you can check this by loosely mounting the beat up header (pic#1) since i believe it is correct fit ....if..... you have the assembly in the right order as you proceed ...if it fits...take the other homemade jobber and use it for a grappling hook...or a barter item...and get a nice used kerker k2,,,supertrapp,,bassini,yoshimura,,,header on e-bay when one is going cheap....good luckLukeJ wrote:

Here are the pics.

Two headers are better than one, as they say. The black header is the old one. It is cut off at the 4-1 joint its badly bent. The flange is merely a bump on the end. This is the header the bike came with, but I doubt its original.

The chrome header is in much better condition and is ready to go. The flange on it is approx 2/3 inch LONG (not thick, sorry).

Here is the problem. Flange and split collar = too long for the clamp to atach to the studs.

Do I cut them down or would a bike shop happen to have shorter ones? Thankyou for the advice thus far.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Jan 2009 17:51 #259761 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Exhaust gaskets
luke,
i m not sure you have a correct replacement header...
sending link...hard to see in pic and its a mac, but the big thick flanges on your pipe might not be correct....

webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/...0Black/Chrome1977-85

just trying to help you out....if those collars are correct, pipe is wrong....you might have to spend some time researching....good luck.....keith

More
23 Jan 2009 20:31 #259793 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Exhaust gaskets
If deciding to use the 2nd pic long flange headers, and the 1st pic thin flange headers fit okay, could carefully measure the distance between split collar flange (extreme rear) and header flange (extreme front where presses against copper gasket).

Then cut (shorten) the collars whereby they will afford the exact same measured distance when fitted to the long flange headers.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
23 Jan 2009 23:18 #259823 by LukeJ
Im going to try that Patton. Failing that I'll get me a new exhaust

More
24 Jan 2009 02:41 #259826 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Exhaust gaskets
Bottom picture is like my stock 84 GPZ exhaust, so I would bet that you have the longer spacers, and either a cut down (what I would do too) or factory spacers would work.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
24 Jan 2009 04:01 #259827 by LukeJ
Out of idle curiosity, which exhaust produces the most insane sound?

I've looked at Kerker and MAC - are there any other exhausts that will work on this bike?

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
24 Jan 2009 07:23 #259852 by trianglelaguna
kerker had an aluminum canister version that a lot of folks used on your model ...i think it was a kerker k2s..patton is right if you CAN cut em clean and straight....LukeJ wrote:

Out of idle curiosity, which exhaust produces the most insane sound?

I've looked at Kerker and MAC - are there any other exhausts that will work on this bike?

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife