My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please

More
18 Jan 2009 17:33 #258670 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
HerrDeacon wrote:

...think I should replace the seals at this point if it doesn't appear that oil has been leaking down?

Now would be a good time to go ahead and replace the seals, regardless of appearances. If the old seals aren't leaking now, they likely will be soon. ;)

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2009 02:56 #258743 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
Makes sense, will do. Thanks.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Jan 2009 10:57 #258773 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
It is a perfect time to inspect the head, and dont forget new guide seals.
if u need guides u will need a valves job.When the guides are replaced the valves will no longer seat properly.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
19 Jan 2009 17:44 #258867 by HerrDeacon
What do you guys use to clean the valves? I soaked them in Seafoam last night and used a wire wheel on my Dremel tonight. The intakes are not too bad and I should be able to clean them up, but the exhaust ones are really baked on good. Any tips?

More
19 Jan 2009 17:52 #258870 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
wire brush on the bench grinder?

More
19 Jan 2009 23:06 #258934 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
HerrDeacon wrote:

What do you guys use to clean the valves? I soaked them in Seafoam last night and used a wire wheel on my Dremel tonight. The intakes are not too bad and I should be able to clean them up, but the exhaust ones are really baked on good. Any tips?

I found new valves for mine on ebay for about $12 each. At that price, I didn't screw around with cleaning the old ones.

If you use a wire brush, be careful not to score the valve face.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Jan 2009 00:03 - 20 Jan 2009 00:07 #258939 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
The coloring on the light colored valves is normal. Wire wheel on a drill works very well for cleaning and it wont hurt the valve faces. If the 45deg. angles look good and do not have pits, the valves are fine. Might want to mik the stems at top and bottom for any severely worn ones, but uts not likely you'll have any that bad. If you're putting new guides in have a machinist LIGHTLY touch-up the seats after the guides are in. The valves will lap in easily. keep a close eye on the margin that will form on every valve while you lap. Use meduim to coarse grinding compound. It's all you need besides a suction cup. When your ready to test a valve, clean the seat and valve face with a rag, insert the valve, turn it a quarter turn while pressing down on it, let it go and fill the chamber with water. Wrap a rag around an air nozzle and insert it into the port, push down on the valve with your thumb and shoot air (30-120psi) into the port and look for bubbles. Don't bother using solvent and waiting overnight for the tooth fairly. Fairely sealed valves are not what you want here. This is the real deal. If you buy guides from ape they come undersized inner diameter so if u think the valves will fit even before u intall the guides you'll be wrong. They say their small so racers can adjust. I think it's to require the 7mm reamer that is used after install, if you put them in without reaming first, youll never get the reamer into the guides after. Just watching out and trying to help you out. And if you end up doing this be very careful not to get the reamer stuck into a guide. Once they get stuck they dont want to come out. Its going to happen many times but if you dont stick it real good u can reverse the drill or press and get it out and moving again. NO shirt no shoes, no problem.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2009 00:07 by nads.com.

More
20 Jan 2009 02:50 #258945 by HerrDeacon
Thanks guys.

Great tips on the valves nads, thanks. Sounds like a good test for sealing (quicker than waiting overnight too!).

More
20 Jan 2009 04:13 #258951 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
Deac...

For a little extra $$$, why not just get a valve job done... All new parts, springs, guides, seals... plus new gaskets of course.

You can probably get this all accomplished for $500 or under pending the valve job, basic or port & polish as well...

Of course if you already have the spring compression tool, reamer and honing tool, guide driver and lapping tools just do it yourself... Parts only for ~ $100 (guides and seals).

Please provide images & text updates as you go... Never have done this myself (valve job), be interesting to see the work in progress...

I don't have all the proper tools or knowledge for that matter, so off to Cavanaughs... Glad I did! ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
20 Jan 2009 05:25 #258956 by HerrDeacon
OMR, I'd love to be able to do that but I don't have any cash for that. Actually, I'm considering deferring the Dyna ignition and coils until later due to lack of money. I have to try and do this on the cheap, so I'm just going to clean everything up and put new seals in. Hate to have everything opened up and not to do a complete job, but that is all I can do at this time.

One good thing is that I'm learning loads (thanks to you guys) and having fun. So as long as I can get it cleaner than before I'll be happy :)

Great pics OMR, that work looks great, super clean. I doubt mine will look like that. I'll be sure to update as I go.

More
20 Jan 2009 08:01 #258996 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic My Valves and Pistons - Feedback Please
I understand the low fund deal,,, at a min, replace the valve seals and lap the valves back in, you can buy the compound and hand lapping "suction cup" tool at juat about any parts store, make sure you put the valves back in the same place they came from and lap them in, checking to see if you have a clean lapped line on both the valve and the seat.
at this time you can bench adj the valves, this will save you time on the reassembly.

also make sure to lubricate the valves going back in the guides, this is prob the last place that gets oil from the engine on a start up

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 Jan 2009 09:03 #259001 by HerrDeacon
Definitely will be doing the seals and lapping at a minimum. Good tip on the bench adjust, save my back a bit anyway leaning over the engine.

Thanks