Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jan 2009 13:27 #257679 by bountyhunter
Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder? was created by bountyhunter
I remember reading about trying to use the intake vacuum line to suck seafoam into the cylinder. Anybody ever spray cleaner into the cylinder through the spark plug hole?

I want to get my wife's Saturn to pass smog and I am trying to clean the crud out of the cylinder.

Seems like somebody should make a potent cleaner that you could "fog" in and let sit then run out.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2009 13:46 #257681 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
I've read about it but never tried it, adding a dribble of water to the intake manifold at high idle will blow the carbon out of the combustion chambers.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Jan 2009 14:00 #257690 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
bountyhunter wrote:

I remember reading about trying to use the intake vacuum line to suck seafoam into the cylinder. Anybody ever spray cleaner into the cylinder through the spark plug hole?

I want to get my wife's Saturn to pass smog and I am trying to clean the crud out of the cylinder.

Seems like somebody should make a potent cleaner that you could "fog" in and let sit then run out.

Have heard of squirting PJBlaster into spark plug hole, and allowing it to sit for a while (supposedly soaking into and loosening the carbon deposits (and associated crud), then cranking up the engine and watch all the smoking as it's blown out the exhaust. Seafoam may serve equally well or better.

There're also several other magic snake oil sprays on the autoparts supply shelf available to injest through the carb while engine's running and supposedly do about the same thing.

Some folks swear by the "steam cleaning" method of combustion chamber cleaning by using water spray as the ingested fluid while the engine is running.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Jan 2009 14:35 #257700 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
More of a long term solution, but people over at BITOG rave about this stuff on high mileage cars.

www.auto-rx.com/

This may be a good place to post your question as well, a lot of gear heads over there.

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads...tlist&Board=5&page=1

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jan 2009 16:04 #257718 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
austin3119 wrote:

More of a long term solution, but people over at BITOG rave about this stuff on high mileage cars.

www.auto-rx.com/

This may be a good place to post your question as well, a lot of gear heads over there.

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads...tlist&Board=5&page=1

Interesting, thanks for the info.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jan 2009 10:19 #258058 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
I did the Seafoam truick on my 2000 Silverado when it developed a little knock under a load. I disconnected the brake booster vaccum line and while the truck was running I poured the Seafoam in as fast as I could. You want to stall the car if possible so pour it as fast as you can. If it won't stall then kill it. The whole operation should only take 10 seconds or so. After it stalls just let it sit for a few hours. Then start it up and let it run for awhile. It will smoke, I mean SMOKE, for around 5 minutes or so. It creats a fog so I hope th wind is blowing. I did it on a still day and it was embarassing because it looked like my truck blew itself up. I drove it around for a few minutes and fogged the whole town up. The smoke stopped after 10 minutes or so. The knock when away and I got better throttle response as well. Just wait till you see the crap that comes out of your tail pipe! Been almost 3 years since I did it and still runs strong. I will likely do it again this year just to keep everything clean. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jan 2009 12:46 #258075 by bountyhunter
kawtoy wrote:

I did the Seafoam truick on my 2000 Silverado when it developed a little knock under a load. I disconnected the brake booster vaccum line and while the truck was running I poured the Seafoam in as fast as I could. You want to stall the car if possible so pour it as fast as you can. If it won't stall then kill it. The whole operation should only take 10 seconds or so. After it stalls just let it sit for a few hours. Then start it up and let it run for awhile. It will smoke, I mean SMOKE, for around 5 minutes or so. It creats a fog so I hope th wind is blowing. I did it on a still day and it was embarassing because it looked like my truck blew itself up. I drove it around for a few minutes and fogged the whole town up. The smoke stopped after 10 minutes or so. The knock when away and I got better throttle response as well. Just wait till you see the crap that comes out of your tail pipe! Been almost 3 years since I did it and still runs strong. I will likely do it again this year just to keep everything clean. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

I can't find a usable vacuum line on the Saturn. But, I did take the spark plugs out and use carb cleaner spray to hose like crazy into the plug holes. I put the plugs back in and waited for about five minutes then cranked it up. It did smoke a little for a while, not too bad.

QUESTION: do you think the gunk that is coming loose could crud up the inside surfaces of the catalytic converter?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jan 2009 14:16 #258090 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
I don't think it will matter as the gunk is a result of combustion products from the gasoline. Leaded gas is supposed to be the death of cat converters but I don't think you can find any except avgas at the airport for light planes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Jan 2009 16:47 #258119 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
bountyhunter wrote:

i do it while the motor is running,spraying liquid in there and trying to start it might lock it up hydraulicly or break something.i forgot i fogged down a motor in a dragboat for the winter one time and tried to start it without pulling the plugs and blowing it out 1st :S snapped the steel nose cone right off a high torque bigblock chevy starter,very expensive screw up!:blush: B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jan 2009 16:12 #258302 by bountyhunter
kawtoy wrote:

I did the Seafoam truick on my 2000 Silverado when it developed a little knock under a load. I disconnected the brake booster vaccum line and while the truck was running I poured the Seafoam in as fast as I could. You want to stall the car if possible so pour it as fast as you can. If it won't stall then kill it. The whole operation should only take 10 seconds or so. After it stalls just let it sit for a few hours. Then start it up and let it run for awhile. It will smoke, I mean SMOKE, for around 5 minutes or so.

HOLY CRAP! You weren't kidding.... I did the seafoam thing directly into the vacuum line. When I started it back up, it looked like a crop duster.:laugh:

I had to drive it around the neighborhood for ten minutes to keep the cloud from getting too big in any one place.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Jan 2009 20:32 #258355 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Spray Cleaner Directly Into Cylinder?
bountyhunter wrote:

I can't find a usable vacuum line on the Saturn. But, I did take the spark plugs out and use carb cleaner spray to hose like crazy into the plug holes. I put the plugs back in and waited for about five minutes then cranked it up. It did smoke a little for a while, not too bad.

QUESTION: do you think the gunk that is coming loose could crud up the inside surfaces of the catalytic converter?[/quote]

use the pcv hose. it's straight manifold vacuum.
diesel fuel can also be used to do this.

and yes, you can plug the convertor doing this.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jan 2009 21:57 - 16 Jan 2009 21:59 #258365 by bountyhunter
kawsakiman wrote:

use the pcv hose. it's straight manifold vacuum.

I did.

kawsakiman wrote:

and yes, you can plug the convertor doing this.

Too late now.....:laugh: I am also running the super cleaner afterwards in the gas so hopefully it will clean that out of the cat.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Jan 2009 21:59 by bountyhunter.