Puffing smoke - need an opinion

More
04 Jan 2009 21:52 #256222 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Puffing smoke - need an opinion
gane wrote:

OMR, Idle hands.... and a quick ADD, from no creditable source, just my own experiance, White exhaust, coolant,, G

sorry, but i just could not resist this one.
COOLANT? on an air cooled motor?

white smoke might just be a valve seal or guide problum.

if anyone knows of a trick to remove valve springs without removing the head, please let me know.

just do a leakdown test and be done with it.

white smoke on an air cooled motor :laugh:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2009 12:53 #256285 by OldHippie
Replied by OldHippie on topic Puffing smoke - need an opinion
This may sound silly, but have you checked the simple things? I just went through what you are going through...puffing smoke. I went over everything, or so I thought, twice. Had friend of mine come over to lend a hand and the first thing he did was pulled the plugs and guess what...they were fouled. I learned not to overlook the simple things...Just a thought.

There is power in words...just don't put too many together.
my ride: KZ1000P19

More
05 Jan 2009 13:07 #256288 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Puffing smoke - need an opinion
I dont know how your gonna get the springs back on, years ago we had a tool that went in the cam holes to to compress the springs once the cyl was filled with air,, as I remember it was a pain in the butt, but it did work. This was used for replacing the springs only on a drag bike.

I also dont know how your going to get the old seal off and a new one on with the valve in place, there is no room between the frame and the head to get at it.

With that being said, its a whole lot easier to remove the head and check everything while your there, plus you can adj the valves on the bench.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
05 Jan 2009 13:17 #256290 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Puffing smoke - need an opinion
BSKZ650 wrote:

With that being said, its a whole lot easier to remove the head and check everything while your there, plus you can adj the valves on the bench.

And if you have had a leaky valve seal, you will want to clean off all the burned on oil gunk that has accumulated in and around the valve seat and head surface.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Jan 2009 19:44 #256356 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic Puffing smoke - need an opinion
Hey guys, yup checked the compression and it was good, plugs look ok, so I figured it was the seals. It was smoking when the weather was a little warmer and at idle, but I agree that I’m making a LOT of assumptions here.

I don’t have a leakdown tester and didn’t realize that the springs were so close, so it sounds like the head has to come off

BTW, yes, I am working outside but it has warmed up to 30 degrees so I don’t need the snowmobile suite anymore. ;-)

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

More
05 Jan 2009 19:47 #256357 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic Puffing smoke - need an opinion
...forgot to mention, white smoke at idle and a puff when I blip the throttle.

My brother offered to help and come by with his 45 and put my bike out of its misery. I told him it was metric and he'd need a 9mm.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA