What Split collars are used on 650 V&H pipe

More
01 Jan 2009 11:37 #255670 by Muddy
I don't have the original split collars. Jeff at Z1 sent me some new ones supposed to be for the V&H, but they are to long to get everything bolted up? What am I missing here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2009 11:42 #255671 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What Split collars are used on 650 V&H pipe
Muddy wrote:

I don't have the original split collars. Jeff at Z1 sent me some new ones supposed to be for the V&H, but they are to long to get everything bolted up? What am I missing here?

Are the collars fitted correctly with their flanged ends fully seated into the clamp recess, and the plain ends facing the engine?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jan 2009 13:23 #255684 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic What Split collars are used on 650 V&H pipe
Muddy wrote:

how close are nuts to starting on ex studs? my vance and hines collars were a tad longer and i ended backing out exhaust studs a couple of turns
enough that i could get em started...the studs on mine werent too crappy, so i could pull it off....keith

More
01 Jan 2009 13:46 #255687 by Muddy
The Exhaust Studs are flush with the flanges, can't even start the nut.

More
01 Jan 2009 14:05 #255689 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic What Split collars are used on 650 V&H pipe
Muddy wrote:

The Exhaust Studs are flush with the flanges, can't even start the nut.

do the studs look decent enough to attempt backing them out a bit? mine had a spot in the middle with no threads so i used vice grips on em...if they are treaded all the way, i guess you could double-nut them and try it a little and see if they budge....i d be carefull though...you could always hit the edge of the flange that goes against gasket on the bench grinder....keith

More
01 Jan 2009 14:20 #255691 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic What Split collars are used on 650 V&H pipe
V&H pipes use a slightly longer split collar.

This is needed due to the lip on the header pipe (that goes into the head) being half the thickness of the factory pipes.

Make sure your old exhaust gaskets have been removed from the head - often the are crusted into the head and you don't even know they are still in there.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
01 Jan 2009 14:38 #255694 by Muddy
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

This is needed due to the lip on the header pipe (that goes into the head) being half the thickness of the factory pipes.

Make sure your old exhaust gaskets have been removed from the head - often the are crusted into the head and you don't even know they are still in there.

Would the new gaskets you sent fit in if the old gaskets are there?

More
01 Jan 2009 15:01 #255701 by Muddy
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

]ust took a break from the Rose Bowl to take a look, and thats exactly what the problem was. You couldn't even tell they were still in there. Thanks Jeff.

More
02 Jan 2009 07:30 #255761 by Muddy
Muddy wrote:

Jeff.Saunders wrote:

]ust took a break from the Rose Bowl to take a look, and thats exactly what the problem was. You couldn't even tell they were still in there. Thanks Jeff.

Jeff, I tried it again this morning and even with the single gasket there's no way the split collar will work. Is it possible you sent me collars for a different bike?

More
02 Jan 2009 12:42 #255784 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What Split collars are used on 650 V&H pipe
Would also check for a second old gasket encrusted in the exhaust port. Sometimes, two old gaskets are used during reassembly instead of one new gasket.

Are you positive that the split collars are positioned with the plain end abutting the header flange and with the other end (the curved end) snuggly fitted inside the clamp channel. Sometimes it requires some maneuvering to assure close snug fit at the clamp/collar interface.

If not already done, after removing all old gaskets, and cleaning the port surface (with acetone and a q-tip, or spraying with brake cleaner or carb cleaner), use a dab of Permatex high-temp copper silicone to hold each new gasket in its place inside the port. Let it set up for a few minutes so it will hold the gaskets in place while you're busy keeping all the collars and clamps together and pushing the header into position without parts falling all over. Also okay to put masking tape around the split collars for holding them together on the pipe during the installation. Then it's much easier to lift and maneuver the header into position when only having to fool with the clamps and assuring fitment at all the clamp/collar interfaces.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Jan 2009 17:51 #259083 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic What Split collars are used on 650 V&H pipe
How did you make out on this problem?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,