Engine Sat for A Year and a Half

More
01 Jan 2009 06:50 #255638 by Muddy
Engine Sat for A Year and a Half was created by Muddy
Finally finishing my cafe project. It has been started in almost two years. What is the best procedure to get it running again? It ran fine when I started. Pull plugs squirt in some oil, turn it over without plugs first?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
01 Jan 2009 07:05 #255641 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
2 years? I'd change the oil and filter, remove the spark plugs, and squirt a little oil in the cylinders before hand turning the engine over in the normal rotation. 2 years shouldn't be all that bad, as long as you have kept the intake and exhaust ports blocked off. Oil should be remaining on the bearings and piston walls, but just how clean the oil remaining in there at the time of storage if any at all, is is another story. You might even want to go as far as removing the valve cover, and pouring some oil over the cam lobes, but that might not be necessary.

How was the engine stored?

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
01 Jan 2009 07:18 #255644 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
Muddy wrote:

Finally finishing my cafe project. It has been started in almost two years. What is the best procedure to get it running again? It ran fine when I started. Pull plugs squirt in some oil, turn it over without plugs first?

Would also suggest:
Drain carb bowls;
Remove, disassemble and clean petcock;
Remove and flush fuel tank;
Change oil and filter;
Install new in-line fuel filter;
Inspect battery, add water if needed, and charge it up;
Check and air-up tires;
If applicable, check tightness of spokes;
Check and lube chain;
Check brakes for proper functioning;
General lube of moving parts;
Overall inspect tightness of nuts and bolts.

And undoubtedly other items not immediately coming to mind. :unsure:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jan 2009 07:38 - 01 Jan 2009 07:42 #255649 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
Would also check condition of brake fluid, and change it if needed, using same type fluid.

The easy way is to remove most of the old fluid from master cylinder, but leave enough to cover the bottom holes and keep air from getting into the system.

Add fresh fluid, then pump through lines out the bleeder until new fluid appears, being careful not to let the m/c run dry.

When done flushing, top up the m/c.

Tip -- A hand-sprayer on a bottle of household rubbing alcohol is one way to clean and rinse errant brake fluid from the master cylinder and calipers. Then towel and blow-dry.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Jan 2009 07:42 by Patton.

More
01 Jan 2009 07:38 #255650 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
It was just in the frame while I built the project around it. THe exhaust and airbox have been off for about 8 months, but I blocked off the carbs and exhaust ports.

More
01 Jan 2009 07:39 #255651 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
Patton wrote:

Would also check condition of brake fluid, and change it if needed, using same type fluid.

The easy way is to remove most of the old fluid from master cylinder, but leave enough to cover the bottom holes and keep air from getting into the system.

Add fresh fluid, then pump through lines out the bleeder until new fluid appears, being careful not to let the m/c run dry.

When done flushing, top up the m/c.

I shouldn't have to worry about the other stuff. It has a new tank, brakes, forks, etc.

More
01 Jan 2009 09:12 #255659 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
My first 750 twin had been parked in the pole barn for 10 years when my brother gave it to me.
I hooked a battery charger to the 11 year old battery, turned on the gas and the ignition and kicked till it started. Then I rode it home on 10 year old gas (11 miles).

This past year I have had to start both gas and diesel motors that hadn't been touched in 10 years or more, in all cases where water had not got into the cylinders, starting involved merely replacing the batteries.

Since you do plan on riding it sooner or later, you might as well do all the stuff others have suggested. The equipment discussed in the example above was merely being moved about the yard.

KD9JUR

More
01 Jan 2009 13:47 - 01 Jan 2009 13:50 #255688 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
Along with the above info, I would suggest this:

Pull the spark plugs.

Drain the oil and use the kickstarter to pump the remaining old oil out.

Install new filter.

Put in clean oil.

Use the kickstarter to pump the clean oil fully up and through before firing it up. This may take a few minutes, but you really don't want to crank it up on dry bearings unless you are selling it soon.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Jan 2009 13:50 by bountyhunter.

More
01 Jan 2009 14:57 #255699 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Engine Sat for A Year and a Half
Year and a half? One of my bikes(kz650) sat in a cold/hot aluminum shed for 21 years another(kz750) sat in a hay barn for 15 years and yet another(GL500) in a cellar for 11 years. Bro had a 63' HD/Ameracci that sat in a barn for 30+ years. A year and a half is a short nap! IMHO

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"