Kickstarter

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
31 Dec 2008 15:05 #255557 by bubbap
Kickstarter was created by bubbap
Not sure where in the forums this should go but here it is. I kick start my 79' KZ650 saves the starter for one and always starts on one kick even in 6 degree weather (woo hoo). My question is how can I get the rubber boot to stay on the kick start lever. Every time I kick it, it starts to slide off, it hangs on but gets further off with each kick.
Ive tried some glue and rubber sealant but they don't last long. For some reason its a pain to get back on, I can't figure how it comes off easy but goes on hard. I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2008 15:35 #255565 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Kickstarter
That's a good one. How about sliding it off all the way and put the other end on first to turn it around? I've never had that happen.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
31 Dec 2008 15:41 #255568 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Kickstarter

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 Dec 2008 16:04 - 31 Dec 2008 16:24 #255572 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Kickstarter
wet both surfaces and use gorilla glue wait a minute or so and rotate it a lttle wait an hour and trim the extra that swells out with a sheetrock knife...it will never come off again,,,,,

p.s never ever get gorilla glue on your hands or anything else but the two surfaces you wish to glue...and when needed make sure to use a clamp......disclaimer..lol

edit....it will not wash off of your skin ever with anything and you will be sorry you touched it...unless you like looking like you have shit on your hands for about two weeks.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 31 Dec 2008 16:24 by trianglelaguna.

More
31 Dec 2008 16:19 #255576 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Kickstarter
trianglelaguna wrote:

wet both surfaces and use gorilla glue wait a minute or so and rotate it a lttle wait an hour and trim the extra that swells out with a sheetrock knife...it will never come off again,,,,,

p.s never ever get gorilla glue on your hands or anything else but the two surfaces you wish to glue...and when needed make sure to use a clamp......disclaimer..lol

i second the gorilla glue...good shit...i used it once to refasten a chunk of garage floor that came up near door....a little of that stuff and it hasnt budged in two years....use less than you think youll need and save yourself the ooze scraping....keith

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 Dec 2008 16:29 #255577 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Kickstarter
allthough the rubber does spin as your heels force rotates it through the kicks travel...i wonder if glueing it would change this enough to make the kickstarting harder???????will it just travel with the arm and move with the arc????

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
31 Dec 2008 16:50 #255579 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Kickstarter
Every kick the lever bends a little. Maybe only a billionth of an inch, but it's bending. Eventually the rubber is heading downhill and every kick tries to slip it off the end of the lever. So you probably need a new lever to fix it. I just push mine back on every once in a while, because unless you can find a decent seller on ebay that doesn't jack up all nos parts to full retail, it will be upwards of $200 for the lever.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
31 Dec 2008 17:33 #255583 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kickstarter
Get a new rubber (they're cheap). They are so tight when new you can barely get them of the lever and they stay put. I always use the kicker on my KZ650 when it's been sitting overnight; it starts MUCH easier when cold than using the starter motor. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)