Exhaust Packing /Installation Questions

More
29 Dec 2008 16:38 - 29 Dec 2008 16:40 #255288 by Muddy
I have a VH 4 into 1 that needs re-packed. What is the best material/procedure for re-packing the muffler. Right now its hollow with the slip in baffle.

Also, when installing the exhaust:

1.) Do the copper exhaust gaskets go rounded or flat side towards the head.

2.) Do the split collars go lip edge toward the head?
Last edit: 29 Dec 2008 16:40 by Muddy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2008 18:08 #255300 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Exhaust Packing /Installation Questions
Muddy wrote:

I have a VH 4 into 1 that needs re-packed. What is the best material/procedure for re-packing the muffler. Right now its hollow with the slip in baffle.

Also, when installing the exhaust:

1.) Do the copper exhaust gaskets go rounded or flat side towards the head.

2.) Do the split collars go lip edge toward the head?

i m not sure what to pack it with....i have stock baffle if you are interested...p m me....i am guessing flat side toward head on gaskets..i have to dig that one up from memory bank ..on the collars , lip edge should fit in groove on the backside of the 4 flanges...hope this helps...i m sure others will chime in if i am wrong...

More
30 Dec 2008 06:30 - 30 Dec 2008 06:38 #255345 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Exhaust Packing /Installation Questions
keith1, sure you can order the special packing online and wait 2-3 weeks every time you need some or you can scour the local bike accesary dealers OR you can simply run down to your local hardware (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) store and for abouy 5-6 bucks pick up a bag of water pipe wrap (insulation). Yup, plain old pipe wrap! I've been using this stuff for 20 years! I always seem to find the same brand but it's 25ft long and I get 3-4 wraps out of each bag depending how loose or tight you wrap it. It seems to hold up great and lasts a long time. I simply start at the front of the baffle and wrap around it over lapping each wrap half the width. Don't wrap it real tight, enough where it won't move easily. When you get to the end of the baffle you just reverse and keep wrapping back to the front. I usually wrap enough to fill the cannister. When I'm done it's snug enough that I can slip baffle back into can with nothing holding it together. If you wrap it loose you can secure it with (see second pic) some mechanics wire. For the price and availability of this stuff I usually buy two rolls when I'm at the store and I have some packing on the shelf for the next couple years! The roll pictured I bought over a year ago. How much you ride will depend on how long it lasts.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 06:38 by Bluemeanie.

More
30 Dec 2008 06:37 - 30 Dec 2008 06:38 #255346 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Exhaust Packing /Installation Questions
Here's the wire tied version. I found that the tighter you wrap it the louder it actually gets!? I guess when the wrap is tight it cannot absorb sound as good as when it's a little looser?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 06:38 by Bluemeanie.

More
30 Dec 2008 14:40 #255413 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Exhaust Packing /Installation Questions
ya learn something new every day.....thanks....